michael perelman wrote:

> I don't think anybody is saying
> that material
> capital is not real, but that once it becomes swept
> up within the
> financial sector it can take on fictitious values.

You'll have to run that part past Jonathan, Michael.
He isn't saying -- nor do I interpret him as saying --
that physical things aren't "real", in the sense of
not existing qualitatively. But I think his point is
with regard to value, i.e.,the quantitative side of
things. And I believe there is merit to that point as
long as one doesn't lose sight of the artificiality
(the historical specificity) of the category of value,
which is something that Postone addresses rigourously.
(There were very specific, substantive theoretical
issues underlying my mention specifically of Postone
and Virno in my questions to Nitzan).

> I don't think that Jonathan was particulary
> respectful of your
> contribution, but still, I think that he is on to
> something -- (perhaps
> because what he says largely agrees with material
> that I have written.

I agree that he is on to something. As I've already
mentioned first in my question to him that he
dismissed, second in my comment that you just replied
to and again in my reply above to your reply. He is on
to something but I'm afraid he has framed his analysis
(in the New Imperialism or New Capitalism paper) in
such a way as to insulate it from integration with
other, possibly complementary, anaylses.

Notwithstanding what Engels had to say, I think Marx
also made that mistake, thus inadvertently founding
Marxism rather than contributing to and expanding upon
a tradition. But this is the 21st century and there
will be no new grand narratives after that fashion.

> I think that the interface between capital and labor
> is important (Tom's
> emphasis) as well as the confrontation of capital
> with capital
> (Jonathan's, although power does also affect the
> division of the product
> between labor and capital).  A synthesis of the two
> is very important.

Yes a synthesis of the two is important. I would go
further to say that such a synthesis is only feasible
on the grounds of the interface between labor and
capital. Which is also to say the confrontation of
capital with capital may be strategically important
but strategy only makes sense if you can identify a
subject to pursue the strategy. Traditional Marxism
simply /assumed/ that subject (need I mention the
proletariat?). We don't have that luxury today.

Virno's multitude (which is more tentative and less
bombastic and contradictory than Hardt and Negri's use
of the term -- I'm relying on Finn Bowring's
contextualization pof H&N) suggests a possible way to
conceive of that subject. I'm not saying The Answer.
Nor is multitude necessarily the collective subject
one might wish for. But as Virno says poetically,
"Every light we will ever find is already here in the
so-called darkness. We need only accustom our eyes."

The Sandwichman