For the past 2 days I have not received any email because some scumbags
hijacked the Panix domain and reregistered it. Service seems to be
restored, but the Panix website still appears to be under the control of
the hijackers.

The other day there was an article in the Times about people getting fed up
with the Internet to the extent that they use their computer only for
word-processing and other stand-alone tasks.

Over the summer, when I was upstate NY using my mom's computer, I ran into
a nasty adware infection that took me days to sort out.

And every day I get countless invitations to increase my penis size or to
help the nephew of some African head of state recover his fortune.

Although I am obviously very committed to the Internet and see it in terms
of the Gutenberg press, there is something profoundly wrong with the way it
is being administered. I don't have the answer, except to note that the
anti-social behavior I have alluded to above is clearly a function of
bourgeois society.

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org