Exchange with Charles Brown:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Castoriadis, Marx and Aristotle ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CB:

... Well then , do tell, what _is_ Castoriadis's critique of Marx ? ...

... the concepts nomos and physis derived exactly from a slaveowning
society are not the basis for the wisest and scientific understanding of
capitalism, so your use of the concepts here means you are entangled in
a way you don't want to be. Marx's treatment of the relationship between
culture and nature is more in accord with modern anthropological
findings than the old Greek confusion.

.... Talk about out-of-date concepts.:>) You are concerned about use of
concepts from the 19th Century, and fail to see that concepts from
ancient Greece are out of date ? In this respect, Michael Perelman is
not accurate when he says your approach moves beyond the time frame of
Marx's analysis when the center of capitalism was industrial. Your
analysis moves _backward_ in time from Marx to the extent that you use
concepts from ancient Greece when slaveowning was the center of the mode
of production.

JN [new]:

1. Marx and Aristotle had different views on “equivalence.” Marx argued,
as you claim, that Aristotle’s perception could not be applied to the
social reality of capitalism. Castordiadis argues that Marx was wrong.
I’m not sure why you want me to summarize Castoriadis for you. I don’t
see a point arguing with your interpretation of my own interpretation.

2. You believe that if one uses Greek concepts, one is going backward. I
suppose, based on this logic, democracy is indeed “out of date,” along
with all the Greek philosophy. We should be careful not to use any of it
when studying capitalism.

Finance capitalism and the concept of capital

JN [new}

Thank you for filling me in on Hobson, Hilferding and Lenin. I have not
read Nikitin’s “The Fundamental of Political Economy”, but I hope you
don’t imply that it was he who discovered the large interest groups. I’m
sure you know that the topic was studied extensively already at the turn
of the 20^th century, if not before.

It seems to me that you are trying to knock down a straw man.

We are not claiming to have discovered the existence of “big business,”
“corporate coalitions,” “big government” and the “capitalist state.” And
we do not claim to be the first to analyze them, separately or jointly.
Our argument is that these new historical developments have led to a
major revision in Marxism, but not to a serious re-examination of the
CONCEPT OF CAPITAL ITSELF. We state so explicitly in “Dominant Capital
and the New Wars” (pp. 268-69; see citation at the end of this posting).

As far as we know, analytically, Marxists still think of the
accumulation of “real” capital in terms of abstract labor. Capital is
said to be augmented by the addition of fresh surplus value; less
material depreciation; and subject to a revaluation due to technological
obsolescence. Power processes that do not affect the creation of surplus
value, depreciation or obsolescence do not bear on accumulation. Based
on this view, taxation, public debt, subsidies, inflation, mergers,
propaganda, intellectual property rights, wars, transfer pricing, etc –
insofar as they do not bear on surplus value / depreciation /
obsolescence – could only redistribute the already accumulated capital.
They can create new “real” capital or destroy existing “real” capital.

If you or anyone else on the list know of a NEW Marxist concept of
capital accumulation – particularly one that incorporates power into the
very definition of capital – we will be thrilled to learn about it
(seriously).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lenin on imperialism
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JN [new]:

I suppose Lenin had the final word on imperialism. The United States is
now the world’s largest importer of capital. Presently, 20% of its
assets are owned by foreigners. How long do you think it will take
before the foreign imperialists will own it all?

Differential accumulation and super-profit

CB:

Your idea of "differential accumulation" seems to be somewhat equivalent
to the Marxist-Leninist concept of "super-profits".

JN [new]

I don’t see how the two concepts are “somewhat equivalent.” The
benchmark for “super profit” is “surplus value,” a concept anchored in
production and invisible in practice. The benchmark for “differential
accumulation” is the “normal rate of return.” This rate already
incorporates power and is visible in practice (in other words, insofar
as inflation, taxation, war, merger, IPR etc. bear on the normal rate of
return, they are already part of our benchmark; they are not part of the
surplus-value benchmark. You may like one concept better than the
others, but they are not the same.

Addendum on the Marxist concept of capital

JN [new]:

From “Dominant Capital and the New Wars” (pp. 268-69):
http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/archive/00000001/ :

“Of course, Marx was the first to note the growth of big business and
the formative role of the state in the genesis of capitalism, themes
that were later developed by neo-Marxist state theorists and the
analysts of monopoly capitalism. But to emphasize these aspects of power
was to undermine the labor theory of value. . . . Monopoly Capital
theorists took a step forward, by emphasizing the role of centralized
power in mature capitalism and by recognizing that such power made labor
values more or less irrelevant for the actual trajectory of PRICES AND
PROFITS. But they failed to take the next logical step, namely to
rethink the implication of power for the CONCEPT OF CAPITAL ITSELF. This
failure was candidly acknowledged by Paul Sweezy in his assessment of
“Monopoly Capital,” a book which he wrote together with Paul Baran
twenty-five years earlier:

[citation from Sweezy;] “Why did Monopoly Capital fail to anticipate the
changes in the structure and functioning of the system that have taken
place in the last twenty-five years? Basically, I think the answer is
that its conceptualization of the capital accumulation process is
one-sided and incomplete. In the established tradition of both
mainstream and Marxian economics, we treated capital accumulation as
being essentially a matter of adding to the stock of existing capital
goods. But in reality this is only one aspect of the process.
Accumulation is also a matter of adding to the stock of financial
assets. The two aspects are of course interrelated, but the nature of
this interrelation is problematic to say the least. The traditional way
of handling the problem has been in effect to assume it away: for
example, buying stocks and bonds (two of the simpler forms of financial
assets) is assumed to be merely an indirect way of buying real capital
goods. This is hardly ever true, and it can be totally misleading. This
is not the place to try to point the way to a more satisfactory
conceptualization of the capital accumulation process. It is at best an
extremely complicated and difficult problem, and I am frank to say that
I have no clues to its solution. But I can say with some confidence that
achieving a better understanding of the monopoly capitalist society of
today will be possible only on the basis of a more adequate theory of
capital accumulation, with special emphasis on the interaction of its
real and financial aspects, than we now possess”. (Sweezy 1991)

Jonathan Nitzan
http://www.bnarchives.net