Jonathan Nitzan wrote:

> Question: if we abandon
> value, don’t we need
> an alternative theory to understand the “way things
> are”? (or does the
> end of value make capitalism patternless?)

Am I glad you asked that question, because it leads
right into the point I had in mind but forgot to
address. I was thinking of the unspoken assumption
that if capital has a pattern it results from some
internal dynamic of capital itself that we might
discover by examining the mechanism of capital
accumulation.

If there is a pattern to capitalism it more likely
results from capital's opportunistic response to the
internal dynamic of labour, which in turn is governed
by the characteristics of species being: most notably
that we are born and as infants are dependent for
several years on older members of our species and that
we eventually die and thus generation must replace
generation. Of course there's the interim requirement
of food and shelter for subsistence and there's our
social developmental characteristics, which are not
fixed but quite malleable.

Each generation grows up against the background of
capital's adaptation to the challenges presented by
the previous generation. That is, each generation
grows up knowing the old rules like the back of it's
own hand and thus able to intuit how to thwart and
subvert the old rules. And that's why capital has to
innovate. It has to change the rules in some way that
makes the subversion or evasion of yesterday's rules
the enforcement of today's. That's easy. Capital
doesn't invent, it appropriates.

But it's not so easy after all because if labour
becomes resigned to its subordination, capital loses
its ability to transform itself . Capital then becomes
merely parasitic.

Toward the end of _Wages, Price and Profit_ Marx
comments that the "development of modern industry must
progressively turn the scale in favour of the
capitalist against the working man." But he then
cautions against taking the lesson from this that the
working class should renounce their resistance and
abandon attempts for even temporary improvements
because, "If they did, they would be degraded to one
level mass of broken wretches past salvation."

"One level mass of broken wretches past salvation" --
is an exuberant moral condemnation, perhaps hyperbole,
but it evokes for me the image of a base upon which
expanded reproduction and accumulation of capital
could hardly occur: a breakdown of socialization, a
breakdown of legality and bourgeois morality.
Confronted with this "level mass", capitalism itself
would become patternless. It might thrash, it might
oscillate, it might even continue to increase by
federal reserve bank decree or concession but it
wouldn't develop in the sense of adapting
imaginatively to new circumstances.

If we abandon value, it seems to me that we jettison
the objective basis for class struggle and thus any
reason (other than nostalgia) to think in terms of
classes. Not only would the end of value make capital
patternless, it would make it meaningless as a
concept. To still call whatever it is capital would be
to invite confusion with that which we are accustomed
to think of as capital.

I'm afraid that without value what we're left with is
some sort of prescribed but unstable hierarchy of
ranks for the highly differentiated distribution of
privileges -- a fiendishly skewed pluralism. That
might or might not be where we're at but it's probably
close to the way that a lot of people see it. It's the
updating of the old "democratic pluralism" taught in
sociology in the 1950s and 1960s.

In such a fiendish pluralism people may well feel that
the outcome of the differential distribution is unfair
to them personally and they may struggle, group
against group, to move up the hierarchy. But without
an objective basis for collective struggle as a class
nothing changes fundamentally. That objective basis
for struggle -- the common thread of injustice -- is
the discrependy between value as it arises in
production and the share of claims against that value
accumulated by capital both inside and outside the
labour process.

Value is certainly in crisis, both as a concept and as
a real entity. To be sure, it has been in crisis since
it appeared as a concept. Nothing is to be gained by
calling for the restoration of value as a real force
in the world. But much is to be lost by accepting its
premature abandonment conceptually. It is the very
crisis of the concept and the intensification of that
crisis in the present that makes it now more useful
than ever. Marx, I imagine, would be among the first
to say good riddance to value when the time has come
to bury it. Virno's impossible phrase, "the communism
of capital" suggests that the time has almost come.

But not yet.

The Sandwichman