> Dear  Chris,
> Many thanks for your kind reply.
> However,  I ask you to consider the following
> question:
> The abolition of the State monopoly over all  means
> of production
> and the introduction of private ownership of the
> means of production
> is a fundamental change in society.   History is
> replete with examples
> of  massive resistence to such changes.  Why did
> this change occur
> in the USSR with hardly any resistence from the
> population, and even
> with their support.

It certainly was resisted. That's why Yeltsin had to
use tanks on the parliament in 1993 and steal the
election in 1996. Today most people would prefer some
kind of social-democratic arrangement, I think.

> Why didn't the majority of the population of the
> USSR oppose the abolition
> of the State monopoly over the means of production
> and the re-introduction
> of private ownership of these means ?

The didn't oppose the abolition of the Soviet
government's monolopy over the means of production.
They are in favor of private ownership of the MOP at
the level of small and medium enterprises. They did
and do oppose privatization of the big state
monopolies. Putin's renationalization of Yukos was
greeted by the population with applause and huzzahs.

> My answer is - the majority of the people in the
> USSR rejected State
> monopoly
> over the means of production.

Most people didn't think in those terms. They weren't
economists.

=====
Nu, zayats, pogodi!