A British paper called something like Business Daily, printed on pink
paper to emulate the prestige of the FT published in its edition of
Feb20/21 as its front page splash the story that public sector jobs
now total almost 1/4 of all jobs in the UK.

They claim this is hidden in the figures of the Labour Force Survey of
the Office of National Statistics, published today.

Another angle on this is that since the Labour Government came to
power in 1997 45% of all new jobs have been in the state sector.

I remembered these stats from the supermarket but foolishly forgot to
double check the exact title of the paper which tends to concentrate
on commentary rather than news.

Nevertheless it is unlikely that the interpretation is wholly wrong.

I thought I would share it as a sign of Brown's strong anti-cyclical
neo-Keynsianism. The different from the Bush administration is that
his is social democratic Keynesianism, rather than populist
tax-cutting right wing.

Chris Burford