From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Devine,
James
Sent: 26 February 2005 16:46
To: PEN-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU
Subject: Re: Oil & dollars

Doug writes:
The estimates I've seen of the benefits of seignorage to the US are
quite small. For example, here's an excerpt from a 1999 talk
<http://minneapolisfed.org/pubs/region/99-06/meyer.cfm> by Lawrence
Meyer:

>On the other hand, having an international currency can provide
>substantial benefits. The most direct benefit is seignorage revenue.
>With about $300 billion of U.S. currency notes in the hands of
>foreigners, the United States earns roughly $15 billion per year
>(less than 0.2 percent of GDP) in seignorage.

comment: I'd say that marginal gains can sometimes be crucial. Further,
while the benefits of seignorage have fallen over time, from a high after
WWII, they are accumulated and allow the collection of interest, so the
total benefit may be quite high. (They'd be lower now than in 1999, since
the Euro has come in.)
JD