Yes, the regressivity of state and local taxes certainly contributes to the
regressivity of higher ed funding.  But the other side of it is that
participation in higher ed is positively correlated with income.  Higher
income students are more likely to go to college, more likely to go to
flagship universities that get much larger subsidies than e.g. community
colleges where low-income students go, more likely to persist to graduation.
So they get much larger shares of the subsidy.

So in fact I would not actually support very low tuition with a progressive
tax structure.  Even if it's free low-income students can't afford it.  Public
two year tuition is about $2000, but that's just tuition.  Add living costs
and it's much more.  Add the opportunity cost of taking time out of the labor
force and it becomes a real problem.   There should certainly be generous
public subsidy of higher education - but more of the money should go into
need-based grants to students and less of it into keeping tuition low for
affluent students.

I'm not familiar with Edgar Litt's work.