The New SPACE

(The New School for Pluralistic Anti-Capitalist
Education)

Teachers, speakers, and organizers at The New SPACE
include:
Stanley Aronowitz, Jack Z. Bratich, Stephen Eric
Bronner,
Andrea Fishman, Jeannette Gabriel, Loren Goldner,
David Graeber, Charles Herr, Jesse Heiwa, Joshua
Howard,
Anne Jaclard, Andrew Kliman, Louis Kontos, Joel Kovel,

Raymond Lampe, Alan Moore, Bertell Ollman, Howard
Seligman,
Bill Weinberg, Seth G. Weiss

*******************************

UPCOMING CLASSES AND TALKS (course descriptions appear
below)

"Capital, Volume I."
Instructor:  Andrew Kliman
Tuesdays, 6-7:30 pm, March 1-June 14.
Tuition:  $150-$180, sliding scale.

"Finance Capital, Fictitious Capital, and U.S.
Economic Decline."
Instructor:  Loren Goldner
Tuesdays, 7:40-9:40 pm, March 1-April 12.
Tuition:  $88-$115, sliding scale.

"Behind the Continuing Disaster in Acheh, Indonesia:
Facts, Politics, and
Theory."
Talk by Reyza Zain and Anne Jaclard
Wednesday, March 16, 7-9 pm.
Donation:  $7-10, sliding scale.

“ART LIFE”
Instructor:  Alan Moore
Saturdays, 12-2 pm, 8 sessions starting April 2
Tuition:  $88-$115, sliding scale

"The Marxist Critique of Ideology: What It Is, How It
Works, and Why It's
Important - Especially Now."
Talk by Bertell Ollman.
Wednesday, April 27, 7-9 pm.
Donation:  $7-10, sliding scale.

"Taxation and Finance."
Instructor:  Howard F. Seligman.
Tuesdays, 7:45-9:45 pm, 8 sessions starting May 3.
Tuition: $88 - $115, sliding scale.

More classes and talks coming soon!  Check our website
http://new-space.mahost.org

*******************************
SPRING AND SUMMER 2005 CLASSES AND TALKS will be held
at the

FUSION ARTS MUSEUM
57 Stanton Street, NYC

(corner of Eldridge & Stanton Streets). This is in
Manhattan's Lower East
Side, one block south of Houston and one block south
of the 2nd Ave. stop on
the F and V trains.  (See our website for map.)
*******************************

For more information about the school and registration
for classes, check
our website.  Please send tuition and pertinent
information to P.O. box a
week before the class begins.
See below for course descriptions.

*******************************

Website:   http://new-space.mahost.org
e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:  1 (800) 377-6183
Mailing address:  The New SPACE,  P.O.Box 19,
Planetarium Station, New York, NY 10024-0019.

*******************************

The New School for Pluralistic Anti-Capitalist
Education (New SPACE) is a
new anti-capitalist educational project dedicated to
developing and
advancing ideas for liberatory social change. Together
with the new
movements for global justice, we believe that "another
world is possible" -
a world free from the domination of capital and free
for the flowering of
human powers and talents.

The New SPACE holds that free dialogue and the
protection of dissenting
views are essential for the development of liberatory
ideas and for forging
real unity among those struggling for liberation. We
reject the suppression
of dissenting views and individuals in the name of
"unity," convinced that
such suppression is antithetical to the working out of
real unity.
"Freedom," as Rosa Luxemburg reminds us, "is always
and exclusively freedom
for the one who thinks differently." Accordingly, one
distinguishing aspect
of our mission is to create an educational space - not
existent at present -
in which pluralistic dialogue and dissident
perspectives are respected and
encouraged.

The New SPACE will be a place for exploring
challenging questions that
today's movements confront, such as:  How do we build
non-hierarchical
movements that can sustain themselves?  How can such
movements safeguard
grass-roots democracy? How do conscious-ness and ideas
relate to movements
for social transformation?

Resolutely anti-authoritarian and non-sectarian, the
New SPACE brings
together anarchists, humanist Marxists, and others.
All those who share our
mission and goals are invited to join us as students,
teachers, and partners
in the development of this project. In particular, we
will encourage and
facilitate the participation of women, people of
color, GLBT people and
others who face exclusion and discrimination. We also
envision a new space
that young people, without ties to the old Left, will
find welcoming. We
seek, though our classes and other activities, to
create an environment in
which youth, working people from diverse backgrounds,
intellectuals, and
activists can dialogue and collaborate in order to
make sense of, and
transform, our world.

New York City
November 8, 2004

*******************************

COURSE DESCRIPTIONS

"Capital, Volume I."
Instructor:  Andrew Kliman.

This 15-week course is devoted to Volume I of Karl
Marx's Capital:  A
critique of political economy.  Marx analyzes the
capital relation as a
process of "self-expanding value."  Throughout the
course, we will stress
the relevance of this concept to the contemporary
expansionism of the
capitalist system and the new movements against global
capitalism.  The
specific character of Marx's critique of capital, and
its differences from
others' critiques, will also be highlighted.

We will go through most of the text fairly carefully,
but proceed quickly
through some lengthy discussions of factual material -
on struggles over the
length of the workday, "machinofacture," and the
historical origins of the
capitalist system - in order to have more time to
devote to more difficult
portions of the work.  The instructor will provide
study questions to assist
students as they work through the text.  Students are
strongly encouraged to
obtain the Penguin (or Vintage) edition of Capital,
since this is what will
be cited in class.  (The Penguin and Vintage editions
are identical in terms
of translation and page numbers.)

There will be no class on March 22.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Finance Capital, Fictitious Capital, and U.S.
Economic Decline."
Instructor:  Loren Goldner.

This course will attempt to explain the current
situation of the U.S., the
"lone superpower," which has net $3 trillion in
foreign indebtedness (30% of
GDP) and roughly $35 trillion in total internal
indebtedness (Federal,
state, municipal, corporate, personal), or over 3
times GDP.  Since the
1960s, the U.S. has obliged its foreign creditors
(Europe, OPEC, Asia) to
recycle their surplus dollars to support this creaking
edifice of debt,
while American capital downsizes and ships production
overseas.  The rest of
the world produces, the U.S. consumes.  Manufacture
now employs a mere 13%
of the American work force. We will examine how this
situation came about,
who are the "winners and losers" of such an
arrangement, and above all its
impact on the material degradation of life for 80% of
the U.S. population.
Finally, we will discuss ways in which a potential
radical left can raise
these questions in a politically meaningful way.

The main required readings for the course will be
Michael Hudson's book
Super-Imperialism: The Strategy of American Empire
(1972; reissued 2002),
and excerpts from the middle sections of Volume III of
Marx's Capital.  To
get a better idea of where the instructor is coming
from, check out the
Break Their Haughty Power website at
http://home.earthlink.net/~lrgoldner,
in particular the post-2001 articles.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“ART LIFE”
Instructor:  Alan Moore

The name of this class reflects the commitment that
artists make to creative
life. We will examine how this commitment is extended
to creative social
change. Weekly meetings will consist of discussion of
readings and websites,
and presentations of online art information,
illustrated books, art work and
action, and guests.  We may possibly visit sites.

Class Objectives:  Working together, we will try to
come to an understanding
of the roots of political work in the arts; evaluate
aesthetic and critical
positions relevant to that work; evaluate the creative
and resistant
potential of different artists’ and art groups’
artistic practices;
research, review and annotate a list of activist,
political, and
interventionist artists' sites and works.

Areas of Concern:  History and Aesthetics – geneology
of political art; an
overview of the “rules” (modes of practice).  Pressure
Points – Economies:
Real, Symbolic and Libidinal.  Theaters of Operation –
Art Culture,
Progressive Culture, Popular Culture, Media Culture,
Cyber Culture.  Survey
of Tactics of Social Art – Attack, Intervention,
Modelling, In- and
Redirection.

Note:  I want everyone in this class to contribute to
course content.
Single session participants are welcome, but must bear
in mind they are
visiting a working group.  (Single-session tuition is
$15.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Taxation and Finance."
Instructor:  Howard F. Seligman.

The course will begin with a brief tutorial on
conventional accounting,
bookkeeping and financial theory.  This will involve
some hands on practical
training, although the main emphasis will be on the
history of the evolution
of the theory from its original conception to the
current methodologies.

This will be followed by an examination of basic
economics (price theory)
and its use and abuse of (accounting/finance)
statistics.  Again, the
history of the theory from its roots in philosophy and
the social sciences
to its current state of being applied mathematical
models will be
scrutinized.

We will then survey the U.S. Income Tax System
beginning with its history
and moving on to its current state (of change) today.
The focus will be on
the behavioral implications of changes in the tax code
and alternate systems
being used in other countries (and being proposed by
Congress today.)

Applying the building blocks of finance and taxation,
we will then look at
the American financial markets and the culture of the
corporation.
Particular attention will be paid to 'Wall Street' and
the 'entertainment
industry' due to their growing influence in our
everyday lives via the
'information society.'

Emphasis will be placed on economic and non-economic
forces that drive the
markets and facilitate manipulation by the use of
abstract numerical
concepts.  Finally, the natural symbiosis of private
industry and
governments will be the subject of specific anecdotes
and case studies.

No requirements other than potential enthusiasm/
interest.