Contrarian Chronicles [MSN?]
Housing mania will end in tears

Today's tales of rampant real-estate speculation sound just like what we
heard at the peak of the tech bubble. And we all know what happened when
that bubble burst.

By Bill Fleckenstein

This week, I thought I might bloviate about the bubble in real estate --
the catalyst being a spectacular article in the March 2 edition of the
New York Times titled "Speculators See Gold in a Boom in Home Prices."

About two years ago, I began writing on my Web site about the lunacy in
the financing of housing, something I called the "housing hot potato."
The evolution of this has allowed folks to use their homes as ATMs to
live beyond their means. Now, as always happens near the end of bubbles,
madness (in real estate) is on display nearly everywhere.

You needn't get far into the article to realize how magical real estate
is perceived to be these days. (Remember, they're not making more of
it.) To quote one of its subjects, Carlos Lidsky, who with his wife has
been wheeling and dealing by trading real estate, "It is much better
than the stock market. This is an extraordinary, phenomenally good
result."

The writer has filled the story with psychological insights and
anecdotes that could have been lifted from the peak of the stock-market
mania. For example:

"Like the day traders of the 1990's dot-com boom, people are investing
in a market that seems to just go up. Promoters use Web sites to attract
investors, promising quick profits. One site,
GetPreConstructionProfits.com, is run by a pair of investors who offer
online training for $197. On their home page, they say people can earn
over $100,000 in six months investing in 'un-built real estate.'" Banks
and insurers
check your credit.

So should you.

Swept off their (square) feet

An intrepid friend told me that a friend of his knew the location of one
of the site's listed "properties." From him, my friend learned of a sign
posted there. It advised people that if they put down a deposit now, it
would give them the right to buy whatever happens to be developed on
this land. There's no mention of what type of property will be
developed.

This is the functional equivalent of a blind pool: You put your money
up, and you have no idea what it's going to be invested in. Take my word
for it. You only see that mindset at the height of a craze, after it's
gone on quite some time. That doesn't necessarily mean this is the last
minute of it, but it's certainly very late in the game of real-estate
speculation.

Other bubble-like symptoms are present as well, as the writer discusses
what sounds like pre-IPO jockeying: "In Miami, the speculative craze is
promoted in part by developers and brokers who help buyers to resell
quickly. Brokers in Miami work overtime to get their clients into V.I.P.
sales events before developers start pitching buildings to the public."
So, there are flippers in real estate who get in on the ground floor and
then sell to the public. It is very reminiscent of the IPO mania.

Welcome to Avarice Estates

Of course, what's powering this psychology is the fact that real estate
has appreciated mightily. (As one speculator is quoted: "It seems that
real estate always goes up.") According to the story, the national
median home price has increased by 33% since 2000. I'm sure that
virtually everyone reading this has firsthand knowledge of even bigger
gains. (For more on this, see my June 28, 2004, column "The housing
bubble doesn't add up.")

Also according to the story, 8.5% of mortgages taken out last year
nationally were taken out by people who did not plan to live in these
houses. That's up from 5.8% in 2000. Knowing how rough these data are,
my guess is it's probably even higher. And it's contrary to what our
esteemed bubble-blowing Fed chairman says about real estate not lending
itself to a bubble because it's not fungible and people have to live
somewhere.

So, at least 8.5% of the market is buying simply because prices are
going up -- the very definition of a bubble mentality. In addition, the
fact that prices are going up and people are chasing them distorts the
very market that underlies the speculative boom -- another classic
symptom of a mania. (For a general background on bubbles, read a speech
I gave on the topic.)

Continuing on, the story talks about the hottest markets, where you see
even more houses being bought for a trade. Leading the charge, it says,
is Las Vegas (how perfect is that?), with 16.1%, Sacramento at 14.7%,
etc. Of course, those markets have had the largest price gains. Blurring
the distinction between cause and effect: Is the market going up because
the market's going up, or are all the people chasing it forcing prices
up? Obviously, it's a little of both.

Leverage: The secret sauce of real-estate gains

What is different -- and far more dangerous -- about the real-estate
mania than the stock-market mania is that anyone with a pulse can get
100%-plus financing for housing -- a fact made quite clear by the story
(and one that many folks have learned firsthand). Many people can
control multiple properties via lax lending standards. It has been cheap
and easy financing that has enabled the mania, in turn promoting even
looser lending standards as the whole process has fed on itself.

However, as is the case with all bubbles, this will pop of exhaustion
(if it hasn't already). According to data passed along to me by a friend
in London, the number of new single-family homes for sale in the United
States is now greater than at any time since recordkeeping began in
1963. In addition, the ratio of homes-for-sale to houses-sold has crept
back to levels not seen since mid-2000.

And, when the housing bubble does pop, folks will find out about the
downside of leverage. The fact that our financial system is so larded up
with bank assets (in the form of loans collateralized by real estate)
means that the implosion will impact the economy. Then, as soon as
lenders start taking hits on real estate, they will tighten up lending
standards, exacerbating the problem.

I think it's safe to say that this mania in real estate cannot get too
much crazier. Yet, it's not possible to say how much longer it will
last. What is 100% knowable: Given all the speculation financed by
borrowed money, this will end in tears, and the ramifications will be
far-reaching.

In case you're wondering what it might look like, there is a group of
islands where there isn't enough real estate for everyone -- and where
real-estate prices have declined for 10 years now. It's also home to the
world's second-largest economy. It's called Japan.

Bill Fleckenstein is president of Fleckenstein Capital, which manages a
hedge fund based in Seattle. He also writes a daily Market Rap column on
his Fleckensteincapital.com site. His investment positions can change at
any time. Under no circumstances does the information in this column
represent a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security. The views
and opinions expressed in Bill Fleckenstein's columns are his own and
not necessarily those of CNBC on MSN Money.

Jim Devine, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://myweb.lmu.edu/jdevine/