Carl Remick wrote:

I do not understand the following comment of Norris at all:  "With capital
in a weakening position, returns that would once have gone to owners of
capital now are redirected. That is one way to explain the surge in
management compensation over the past two decades. In the early 1980s, when
interest rates were high and stock prices low, the average U.S. chief
executive got no stock options in any given year. Now nearly all get large
grants, and one study found that chief executive pay rose faster than that
of any group save for professional athletes and movie stars."

First of all, CEO compensation is pretty small relative to overall returns on capital. But CEO compensation is a form of return on capital, so we're just talking about the division of the booty, not its redirection somewhere else.

Doug