For the most part, I do not like people to conceal their identities here.
There are a
couple cases that I know of in which people hide their identities because they
could not
participate here otherwise because of their professional positions.  In other
words,
they're hiding their identity from their employers rather than the list.

I have never required that people reveal who they really are, but I do not
think it is a
good idea.

The problem is that I could not prevent people from hiding that they are hiding
their
identity.  In other words, instead of calling myself by some identifier like
liberal, which
is obviously an alias, I could use a pseudonym that would seem to be my real
identity.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department