> Jim Devine wrote:
>
> >isn't the difference betwen European and Amurrican
> "tastes" for
> >leisure really just a result of the greater success
> of  labor and
> >social-democratic movements in the latter?

In a nutshell, that's what Alesina et al. are saying.

Doug Henwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In some sense, yes, but I remember interviewing
> someone from the UAW
> when I was first doing my radio show who said that
> the membership
> (unlike that of the CAW) wasn't at all interested in
> pressing for
> reduced work time. They wanted as much overtime as
> possible to bring
> their incomes up to $100,000.

Which, coming from a union exec, is also a bit of a
circular and self-serving argument. The union services
the median member overtime hawgs, union density falls
and those who are left are the hawgs who want as much
overtime as possible to bring their incomes up to
$100,000.

One can ask whether the relative success or failure of
labor and social democratic movements are themselves a
product of cultural differences or vice versa. Chicken
or egg?

The Sandwichman