Thank you Michael for the link. I like very much this subject.
It would be interesting to read somewhere how many acres of land, how
many tons of water, how many tons of
fertilizers and how much work would be needed to obtain the equivalent
of the daily consumption of a country like the US.
Of course fossil fuels are (or have been) a bonus, a lottery prize, and
in the future we will probably have to source
a little here and a little there. In this sense any alternative source
is worth some studying.

In the Cuba article they wrote that they don't eat bulls because, due
to the lack of oil,  they need them as tractors.
I once read a figure of what kind of bonus we have with oil: "if in the
US agriculture what is done with machines
would be done with horses, there would be a need of twice the entire US
cultivable land just to feed them" (Vaclav Smil, History of Energy).

Massimo

Earlier I mentioned the dispute about the energy usage of using
agriculture to grow
industrial projects.  Here is a nice discussion of the wide range of
estimates,
leaning toward the position I proposed

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/27/
MNG1VDF6EM1.DTL

Pinmentel, quoted at the end, is very reliable.  David Morris, quoted
in the middle,
is far from being an industry hack.  One factor neither side mentions
is the water
usage involved in putting an extra strain on the ag system.

Lester Brown, mentioned yesterday, describes the international grain
trade as
disguised water transfers.

 --
Michael Perelman