Eugene Coyle wrote:

> What about the Pope?

Is the Pope a neoclassical economist? If not, I'm
afraid we'll have to repeal his infallibility status.

Actually there is a simpler test of whether one has
committed the lump-of-labor fallacy. Ask yourself if a
given argument is consistent with the belief that this
is the best of all possible worlds. If it is not, the
argument commits the fallacy.

Perhaps you will think I am kidding. Not at all.
According to correspondence I received today,
Keynesians make a number of pessimistic assumptions
about the relationship between the short run and the
long run that have been proven wrong by the facts and
thus they commit the fallacy. Modern macroeconomics
makes more optimistic assumptions about that
relationship, which of course agrees with the facts.
Marx, of course, made pessimistic assumptions ergo
lumpem laboris est.

To simplify:

optimism = no lump
pessimism = lump

Application:

Pessimists see fear of job loss as a bad sign because
they don't recognize that fear facilitates the
transition from short run "difficulties" to long run
equilibrium. Optimists understand that the more fear
people have the happier they will be in the long run.

Are you an optimist? If not you're pretty stupid. All
the facts point to optimism as the basic design of the
macroeconomy. Got bad news? Shove it.

The Sandwichman