So, there would be a corresponding "negative linkage" to the
unemployment rate?

Peter Hollings

-----Original Message-----
From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Perelman,
Michael
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:33 PM
To: PEN-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU
Subject: Re: [PEN-L] query

What about just positive linkages?

Michael Perelman
Economics Department
California State University
michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Chico, CA 95929
530-898-5321
fax 530-898-5901

-----Original Message-----
From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Devine
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:45 PM
To: PEN-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU
Subject: [PEN-L] query

all sorts of things typically rise with GDP, including business
optimism, profitability, cash flow, the ratio of business income to
debt, the ratio of sales to industrial capacity, and the degree of
uncertainty. All else constant, the combination of these rises
encourages fixed business investment to rise. What should I call this
connection?

Currently, in the textbook I'm helping to write, I call this the
"prosperity effect" on fixed investment. Is there a better name that
anyone can think of? (I used to call it the "accelerator effect," but
that gets confused with the accelerator theory.)
--
Jim Devine
"living a life of quiet desperation -- but always with style!"