Silence in class.
University professors  denounced for anti-Americanism; schoolteachers
suspended for their politics;  students encouraged to report on their tutors.
Are US
campuses in the grip of a  witch-hunt of progressives, or is academic life
just too liberal? By Gary  Younge

Gary Younge
Tuesday April 4, 2006
Guardian

After the  screenwriter Walter Bernstein was placed on the blacklist during
the McCarthyite  era he said his life "seemed to move in ever-decreasing
circles". "Few of my  friends dropped away but the list of acquaintances
diminished," he wrote in  Inside Out, a memoir of the blacklist. "I appeared
contaminated
and they did not  want to risk infection. They avoided me, not calling as
they had in the past,  not responding to my calls, being nervously distant if
we
met in public  places."As chair of African American studies in Yale, Paul
Gilroy had a similar  experience recently after he spoke at a
university-sponsored
teach-in on the  Iraq war. "I think the morality of cluster bombs, of
uranium-tipped bombs, [of]  daisy cutters are shaped by an imperial double
standard
that values American  lives more," he said. "[The war seems motivated by] a
desire to enact revenge  for the attacks on the World Trade Centre and the
Pentagon ... [It's important]  to speculate about the relation between this war
and
the geopolitical interests  of Israel."

"I thought I was being extremely mealy-mouthed, but I was  accused of
advocating conspiracy theories," says Gilroy, who is now the Anthony  Giddens
professor of Social Theory at the London School of  Economics.

Scot Silverstein, who was once on the faculty at Yale, saw a  piece in the
student paper about Gilroy's contribution. He wrote to the Wall  Street Journal
comparing Gilroy to Hitler and claiming his words illustrated the  "moral
psychosis and perhaps psychological sadism that appears to have infected
leftist
academia". The Journal published the letter. Gilroy found himself posted  on
Discoverthenetworks.org, a website dedicated to exposing radical professors.
The principle accusation was that he "believes the US fabricated the threat
posed by Saddam Hussein".

Then the emails started coming to him and his  colleagues, denouncing him.
"Only one person said anything," says Gilroy.  "Otherwise, nobody looked me in
the eye. There was something about the way it  never came up that made me
realise how nervous and apprehensive they  were."

Few would argue there are direct parallels between the current  assaults on
liberals in academe and McCarthyism. Unlike the McCarthy era, most  threats to
academic freedom - real or perceived - do not, yet, involve the  state. Nor
are they buttressed by widespread popular support, as anticommunism  was during
the 50s. But in other ways, argues Ellen Schrecker, author of Many  Are the
Crimes - McCarthyism in America, comparisons are apt.

"In some  respects it's more dangerous," she says. "McCarthyism dealt mainly
with  off-campus political activities. Now they focus on what is going on in
the  classroom. It's very dangerous because it's reaching into the core
academic  functions of the university, particularly in Middle-Eastern  studies."

Either way, a growing number of apparently isolated incidents  suggests a
mood which is, if nothing else, determined, relentless and aimed  openly at
progressives in academe.

Earlier this year, Fox news  commentator Sean Hannity urged students to
record "leftwing propaganda" by  professors so he could broadcast it on his
show.
On the web there is Campus  Watch, "monitoring Middle East studies on campus";
Edwatch, "Education for a  free nation"; and Parents Against Bad Books in
School.

In mid January,  the Bruin Alumni association offered students $100 to tape
leftwing professors  at the University of California Los Angeles. The
association effectively had one  dedicated member, 24-year-old Republican
Andrew Jones.
It also had one dedicated  aim: "Exposing UCLA's most radical professors" who
"[proselytise] their extreme  views in the classroom".

Shortly after the $100 offer was made, Jones  mounted a website,
uclaprofs.com, which compiled the Dirty 30 - a hit list of  those he considered
the most
egregious, leftwing offenders. Top of the list was  Peter McLaren, a professor
at the UCLA's graduate school of education. Jones  branded McLaren a
"monster". "Everything that flows from Peter McLaren's mouth  and pen is
deeply,
inextricably radical," wrote Jones. "In keeping with the  left's identity
politics
he has been a friend to the gay  community."

McLaren was shocked. "I was away when the story broke and  when I came back
there were 87 messages waiting for me. I was surprised a list  like that could
be created in these times. I thought, 'Wow, somebody's out there  reading my
work fairly carefully.'" The main impact, he says, was to try to  insulate
those close to him from the fallout. "I had to take down lots of things  from
my
website - family pictures and contacts with other people. I didn't want  other
people to pay the price."

Also among the Dirty 30 was history  professor Ellen DuBois. She was
described as, "in every way the modern female  academic: militant, impatient,
accusatory and radical - very radical". DuBois  told the Los Angeles Times,
"This is a
totally abhorrent invitation to students  to participate in a witch hunt
against their professors."

McLaren, who  describes himself as a marxist-humanist, agrees. He believes
the list was a  McCarthyite attack on academe, with the aim of softening up
public hostility for  a more propitious moment: "This is a low-intensity
campaign
that can be  ratcheted up at a time of crisis. When there is another crisis in
this country  and this country is in an ontological hysteria, an
administration could use that  to up the ante. I think it represents a tendency
towards
fascism."

Six  weeks after Jones released his list, two Los Angeles county sheriffs
arrived  unannounced at Professor Miguel Tinker-Salas's office at Pomona
College
and  started asking questions. Tinker-Salas, a Latin American history
professor, was  born in Venezuela and is a vocal critic of US policy in the
region.
The  sheriffs, part of a federal anti-terrorism task force, told him that he
was
not  the subject of an investigation. Then, for the next 25 minutes they
quizzed him  on whether he had been influenced in any way by or had contact
with
the  Venezuelan government, on the leadership within the local Venezuelan
community,  the consulate and the embassy. Then they questioned his students
about
the  content of his classes, examined the cartoons on his door. "They cast the
 Venezuelan community as a threat," says Tinker-Salas. "I think they were
fishing  to see if I had any information they could use."

Pomona's president,  David Oxtoby, says he was "extremely concerned about the
chilling effect this  kind of intrusive government interest could have on
free scholarly and political  discourse."

Last year, some students at the Department of Middle Eastern  and Asian
Languages and Cultures at Columbia University ran a campaign against  alleged
anti-Israeli bias among professors, criticising the university as a  place
where
pro-Israeli students were intimidated and faculty members were  prejudiced. A
faculty committee appointed by Columbia concluded that there had  been no
serious misconduct.

These issues are not confined to university  campuses: it is also happening
in schools. Since February, the normally sleepy,  wealthy district of Upper St
Clair in Pennsylvania has been riven with arguments  over its curriculum after
the local school board banned the International  Baccalaureate (IB), the
global educational programme, for being an "un-American"  marxist and
anti-Christian. During their election campaign, the Republicans of  Upper St
Clair
referred to the IB, which is offered in 122 countries and whose  student intake
has
risen by 73% worldwide in the past five years, as though it  was part of an
international communist conspiracy, suspicious of a curriculum  that had been
"developed in a foreign country" (Switzerland). "Our country was  founded on
Judeo-Christian values and we have to be careful about what values  our
children
are taught," said one Republican board member. Similar campaigns  have also
sprung up recently at school boards in Minnesota and  Virginia.

Meanwhile, in January in Aurora, Colorado, social studies  teacher Jay
Bennish answered questions in his world geography class about  President George
Bush's speech from his students at Overland High School.  Caricaturing Bush's
speech, Bennish said, "'It's our duty as Americans to use  the military to go
out
into the world and make the world like us.'" He then  continued: "Sounds a lot
like the things Adolf Hitler used to say: 'We're the  only ones who are
right, everyone else is backwards and it's our job to conquer  the world and
make
sure they all live just like we want them to.' Now I'm not  saying that Bush
and Hitler are exactly the same. Obviously they're not, OK? But  there are some
eerie similarities to the tones they use."

Unbeknown to  him, one 16-year-old student, Sean Allen, recorded part of the
class on his MP3  player. When his Republican father heard it he was so
incensed that he shopped  it around to local conservative radio stations, where
it
finally found a home  with radio talk-show host Mike Rosen.

Later in Bennish's class, the  teacher had told his students, "I am not in
any way implying that you should  agree with me. I don't even know if I'm
necessarily taking a position. But what  I'm trying to get you to do is to
think,
all right, about these issues more in  depth, and not just take things from the
surface. And I'm glad you asked all  your questions because they're all very
good, legitimate questions." Rosen only  played the first part of the tape on
his programme. He also put it on the  internet.

The next day, the Cherry Creek school district suspended  Bennish, arguing
that he had at least breached a policy requiring teachers to be  "as objective
as possible and to present fairly the several sides of an issue"  when dealing
with religious, political, economic or social issues.

The  suspension sparked rival demonstrations at school. Hundreds of students
staged a  walkout, a few wearing duct tape over their mouths while some
chanted, "Freedom  of speech, let him teach." A smaller demonstration was
staged
against Bennish,  with students writing "Teach don't preach" on their shirts.

But it has  primarily been universities that have been on the frontline. And
on the other  side of the trenches has been the rightwing firebrand David
Horowitz. Horowitz,  who had Jones on his payroll but fired him after the
taping
controversy, was  raised by communist parents and was himself a marxist as a
teenager. He is  involved with Campus Watch, Jihad Watch, Professors Watch and
Media Watch; he  was also connected to discoverthenetworks.org, which targeted
Gilroy. A few  years ago he founded a group, Students for Academic Freedom,
which boasts  chapters promoting his agenda on more than 150 campuses. The
movement monitors  slights or insults that students say they have suffered and
provides an online  complaint form. Students are advised to write down "the
date,
class and name of  the professor", get witnesses, "accumulate a list of
incidents or quotes", and  lodge a complaint. Over the past three years
Horowitz has
led the call for an  academic bill of rights in several states. The bills
would allow students to opt  out of any part of a course they felt was
"personally offensive" and force  American universities to adopt quotas for
conservative
professors as well as  monitor the political inclinations of their staff.

The bill has been  debated in 23 states, including six this year. In July,
Pennsylvania approved  legislation calling on 14 state-affiliated colleges to
free their campuses from  the "imposition of ideological orthodoxy". Meanwhile,
House Republicans have  included a provision in the Higher Education Act which
calls on publicly funded  colleges to ensure a diversity of ideas in class -
code for countering the  alleged liberal bias in classrooms.

"The aim of the movement isn't really  to achieve legislation," says
Horowitz. "It's supposed to act as a cattle prod,  to make legislators and
universities aware. The ratio of leftwing professors in  Berkeley and Stanford
is seven
to one and nine to one. You can't get hired if  you're a conservative in
American universities."

Reliable empirical, as  opposed to anecdotal, evidence to back up Horowitz's
claim of political  imbalance is patchy but rarely contested. The most
detailed study, conducted by  California economist Daniel Klein and Swedish
scientist
Charlotta Stern, did  reveal a significant Democratic bias which varied
depending on the course they  taught. It showed that 30 times as many
anthropologists and sociologists voted  Democrat as Republican, while for those
teaching
economics the ration plummeted  to three to one.

But these results gave only a partial account of campus  life. Limiting their
research to the social sciences and the humanities excluded  a substantial
portion of the university experience. According to the Princeton  Review, four
of the top 10 most popular subjects - business administration and  management,
biology, nursing and computer science - are not in the social  sciences or
humanities. Republicans are probably more inclined to find a home in  some of
these disciplines. In any case, most academics do not deny that there is  a
progressive, liberal bias in academe. "Of course," says Todd Gitlin, a
professor
of journalism and sociology at the Columbia School of Journalism.  "There's a
lot of conservatives in oil. But there aren't a lot of conservatives  planning
on studying sociology."

And while liberals may be more numerous,  argues Schrecker, a professor of
history at Yeshiva University in New York, that  does not necessarily mean they
are more powerful. "Progressive academe is like  the ninth ward of New Orleans
before the levees break - neither secure nor  particularly safe. It's one of
the few areas left with some kind of progressive  culture."

That, rather than protection of free expression on campus, is  precisely why
it remains a target for the right, they say.

In February,  Horowitz published a book, The Professors: the 101 Most
Dangerous Academics in  America, in which he lists, in alphabetical order, the
radical academics whom he  believes are polluting academe with leftwing
propaganda.
"Coming to a campus  near you: terrorists, racists, and communists - you know
them as The  Professors," reads the blurb on the jacket. "Today's radical
academics aren't  the exception - they're legion. And far from being harmless,
they spew violent  anti-Americanism, preach anti-semitism and cheer on the
killing of American  soldiers and civilians - all the while collecting tax
dollars
and tuition fees  to indoctrinate our children."

The book is a sloppy series of character  assassinations, relying more
heavily on insinuation, inference, suggestion and  association than it does on
fact.
Take Todd Gitlin, a journalism and sociology  professor at Columbia
University. Gitlin was the leader of Students for  Democratic Society, a
radical
anti-war movement in the 60s. Today, his politics  could be described as
mainstream
liberal. He supported the war in Afghanistan  but not in Iraq and hung out the
Stars and Stripes after the terrorist attacks  on September 11. He has
recently written a book, The Intellectuals and the Flag,  calling for
progressives
to embrace a patriotic culture that distinguishes  between allegiance to one's
country, which he supports, and loyalty to one's  government, which he does
not.

None the less, Horowitz slams him for  participating in an anti-war teach-in
in March 2003 at which his colleague  Nicholas de Genova called for "a million
Mogadishus" to be visited on American  soldiers in Iraq - referring to the
murder of US military in Somalia. But Gitlin  has never met or spoken to Genova
and was not participating in the teach-in when  Genova spoke. Horowitz also
slates Gitlin for "immersing students in the  obscurantist texts of leftists
icons like Jürgen Habermas", but omits to mention  that Gitlin also teaches
from
the works of Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, Hobbes,  Locke, Burke, Adam Smith and
the gospels.

"Horowitz's idea of research is  cherry-picking," says Gitlin. "And he can't
even be trusted to find cherries. He  comes up with bitter prunes."

Victor Navasky, the Delacorte professor of  journalism at Columbia
University, is also on Horowitz's hit list. Navasky,  publisher emeritus of the
leftwing
magazine The Nation and chairman of the  Columbia Journalism Review, is
accused of "bankrolling" the review and denounced  for organising lectures by
"prominent leftists" such as Michael Tomasky of  American Prospect and Hendrik
Hertzberg of the New Yorker. Navasky points out  that he has also hosted a
lecture
by Fox news anchor Bill O'Reilly and the  editor of the rightwing Weekly
Standard at Columbia, and that the only cheque he  ever sent the Review was one
he
returned after the magazine paid him for an  article.

"Were it not for all the inaccuracies I would say that I would  be flattered
to be on the list, but I don't think I earned it," says Navasky. "I  don't
think anyone seriously considers me a clear and present danger to the
republic."

Horowitz accuses those who accuse him of McCarthyism of being  McCarthyites
themselves. "All they do is tar and feather me with slanders," he  says. "It's
the politics of Stalinism."

Evidence to back up his central  argument - that these political leanings are
at all related to a teacher's  ability to be fair, balanced or competent in
class - are non-existent. Most of  the criticisms of lecturers on both the
Dirty 30 list and in Horowitz's book are  levelled at comments professors have
made outside the classroom and rarely do  they provide any evidence of the
accused actually criticising or ridiculing  students with rightwing ideas.

Nobody denies that bad leftwing lecturers  exist. As Russell Jacoby argued in
The Nation, "Higher education in America is a  vast enterprise boasting
roughly a million professors. A certain portion of  these teachers are
incompetents
and frauds; some are rabid patriots and  fundamentalists - and some are
ham-fisted leftists. All should be upbraided if  they violate scholarly or
teaching
norms. At the same time, a certain portion of  the 15 million students they
teach are fanatics and crusaders." It is not their  work as professors Horowitz
does not like; it is the ideologies they espouse,  whether in or outside the
classroom.

Political assaults on intellectuals  are not new. Nor are they specific to
the US. At the dawn of western  civilisation, Socrates was executed for filling
"young people's heads with the  wrong ideas". Mao targeted professors for
particular humiliation during the  cultural revolution.

Mark Smith, the director of government relations for  the professor's union,
the American Association of University Professors, says  that these broadsides
vary according to the political climate. Shortly after  world war one, the
litmus test was those who opposed America's participation in  the war or backed
the fledgling Russian revolution; during the 50s, it was  communists; during
the 80s, it was leftwing professors in Latin American studies  departments.
During the early 90s, Lynne Cheney, the wife of the current  vice-president,
was
chair of the National Endowment for the Humanities, when she  lead the
bureaucratic charge against "political correctness". In many humanities
faculties,
she claimed, the common thinking is that "there is no truth.  Everything we
think is true is shaped by political interests ... Since there is  no truth ...
faculty members are perfectly justified in using the classroom to  advance
political agendas."

"These things go in cycles," says Smith.  "Horowitz did not invent this. He's
capitalising on an ongoing  anti-intellectualism and fear of the other."

Many believe that this  current cycle has intensified as a result of the
official response to 9/11. Two  months after the terrorist attacks, the
conservative American Council of  Trustees and Alumni (ACTA), founded by Lynne
Cheney in
1995, branded colleges  and universities the "weak link in America's
response" to the terrorist attacks  and called on lecturers and professors to
defend
western civilisation. In a  report entitled Defending Civilization: how our
universities are failing America  and what can be done about it, ACTA president
Jerry Martin and vice-president  Anne D Neal, wrote: "While faculty should be
passionately defended in their  right to academic freedom, that does not exempt
them from criticism. The fact  is: academe is the only section of American
society that is distinctly divided  in its response to the attacks on America."

Regardless of their accuracy,  integrity and provenance, some believe that
these assaults do have an effect.  "There is a cunning behind the battyness,"
says Gitlin. "It's not just the  self-aggrandisement. It's an assault on one of
the few social enclaves that the  right doesn't control. There is a
scattershot bellicosity whether the fortunes  of the political right are up or
down.
They find it useful for fundraising if  nothing else."

Others argue that while the individual accounts are  troubling, their
ultimate effect on academe can be exaggerated. The response to  the recent
article in
the London Review of Books by two prominent American  professors arguing that
the pro-Israel lobby exerts a dominant and damaging  influence on US foreign
policy may be a case in point. Stephen Walt and John  Mearsheimer have been
accused of being anti-semites and bigots, prompting  accusations of a
McCarthyite witch-hunt. Shortly after publication, it was  announced that one
of the
authors, Walt, was stepping down from his job as  academic dean at Harvard's
Kennedy School of Government and the school removed  the piece from the front
page
of its website. But the Kennedy School and Walt's  colleagues said that the
move had long been planned. Meanwhile, the school  explained the website change
thus: "The only purpose of that removal was to end  public confusion; it was
not intended, contrary to some interpretations, to send  any signal that the
school was also 'distancing' itself from one of its senior  professors."

"The University of Chicago and Harvard University have  behaved admirably in
difficult circumstances. We have had the full support of  our respective
institutions," Mearsheimer said. So all that is left are the  accusations
which,
given the nature of the original article, not even the  authors say surprised
them. People have a right to be offended. It is when that  offence is either
based on flawed information or mobilised into an institutional  or legislative
clampdown that accusations of a witch-hunt truly come into  play.

"Clearly these things are disturbing," says Jon Wiener, professor  of history
at UCLA. "But I don't think they are happening because students are
demanding it. The Bruin Alumni Association [turned out] to be one ambitious,
well-funded guy. There are some frightening moments, but then things seem to
return
to normal."

"It's not even clear this is much other than the  ill-considered action of a
handful, if that, of individuals," says  DuBois.

But however many people are involved, the attacks do make a  difference,
claims Gilroy. "Of course it has an effect," he says. "There's a  pre-written
script you have to follow and if you chose not to follow it, then  there are
consequences, so you become very self-conscious about what you say. To  call it
self-censorship is much too crude. But everybody is looking over their
shoulder".