In a message dated 5/18/2006 8:58:58 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Cristobal S Ruiz  wrote:

> this is  typical of the apologists of neo-lib
>  policies in the third  world
and
> this rather objective  comment
This is it? You have the nerve to snip and chop up what others write  and
call your sanctimony objective? Amazing!
Then you continue with  fabrications such as:
"Ad-hominem fallacy: If Ulhas thinks that cell phone  use is a better
measure of economic development than life expectancy, then  his
motivations or character are  flawed"
><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><>>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><
Your  statement is what is completely fallacious since no one said that Mr.
Ulhas  character is flawed. This is an outright lie on your part. In any event,
the  reference was to the Reuters piece not Ulhas' since he mostly posts
Reuters  articles and it is actually hard to know what he personally thinks.
Then you  add gems such as:
"Appeal-to-majority fallacy: Most of us think that  "neo-liberalism" is
bad.  Therefore, it is bad.  Corollary:  whatever measures
"neo-liberals" use to quantify economic development are  invalid.   QED"
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><>
Neither  Luis Proyect nor I said any of this. This is the product of your own
twisted  ill-intentioned reasoning. QED. Who is this "most of us " by the
way?  Amazing!
What I did say was that under conditions of an unlimited supply of  labor and
high concentration of income and therefore high inequality in LDC's,  any
development strategy designed on the production of luxury goods such as cell
phones, flat TVs, micro ovens, etc is doomed to failure because : 1- these
industries technology is not labor intensive and it is very high capital
intensive
instead  2-Given the highly skewed income distribution, its  markets quickly
hit a wall as demand is limited to a small urban sector  3-Consequently, there
is no real growth as  the gains from this kind  of technological development
remain concentrated at the top as they can not  filter down in terms of higher
income and employment to allow for further  expansion .
There is a vast empirical literature compiled on this subject,  especially
from ECLA economists , the UNDP and the Cambridge U task force on  development.
If you are seriously interested I can forward you extensive  citations,
starting with the great Chilean economist Anibal Pinto's piece  titled:  "The
Concentration of Technical Progress and Its Gains in Latin  American
Development".QED
Finally you claim that:
"I'm tired of the  self-righteous ad-hominem crap on the list." and  "treat
others as you'd  like others to treat your  mother."
Yes  I agree on this one. Ill  temper and ill manners do not reflect too good
on  any one.
But then you should jump on the opportunity and set an example  yourself.
Your sanctimony would make the Vatican tremble and as a logician  you are a
very good musician. QED
Next time you feel the need to engage in  gratuitous personal attacks please
do so via private e mail. or better chose  some else.
Cristobal Senior de Ruiz