Jim D.
> What is the reality of "2" or "4" if it is not 2 or 4 OF something?

Yes. I'm told that the original numbering systems were developed by
people with herds of sheep and the like. It made sense to count them,
whereas it seldom made sense to count the number of grains of wheat.

^^^^^
CB; I've been trying to think through that it was production of commodities
that initiated arithmetic.  In other words, the analysis in the first
chapter of _Capital_ is also the schema of the origin of arithmetic. The
main need to count originates with the need to establish equivalences
between different things. Ten sheep are "the same thing" as forty pounds of
wheat. Before that all that is needed is "many" , "few" , more, less,i.e.
ordinal numbers. There is modern anthropology that corroborates this wherein
certain groups don't "count" past 3 or 4. Cardinal numbers originate with
commodity exchange, is the hypothesis I'm trying to articulate. Note writing
originates at the "same" time in the big picture of history. So, the
Tigris-Euphrates cunieform wedges originate in taxes (Michael
P.)/commodities.

Algebra would predate arithmetic because , as Levi-Strauss suggests, kinship
relations organized are none other than _group_ theory algebra. (See _The
Elementary Structures of Kinship); and kinship predates commodity exchange.

^^^^^

The basic idea is that (as Martin Gardner once said), mathematics
represents the abstract aspect of empirical reality. To me, this means
abstracting from the inherent heterogeneity of that reality: if you
count your sheep, you ignore the differences among the sheep. (You
also ignore the idea that they represent merely parts of the greater
whole of sheepdom, and of the Animal Kingdom, and of Nature.)

^^^^^^
CB: Yes, treating two sheep as exactly "the same thing", as fungible, is an
abstraction. My hypothesis is that what causes people to do this is the need
to establish equivalences between different things, to imagine that 10 sheep
are the same thing as 40 pounds of wheat _in order to exchange them for each
other. The exchange establishes an equation : 10 sheep equal 40 pounds of
wheat. They are "the same thing" by the act of trading them for each other.
The first equation is establishe by the exchange.  Marx and Engels give the
idea that labor time in producing is the basis for this. Engels' has the
longer essays claiming that commodity exchange goes back to approximately
the same time as the origin of the family, private property and the state.
Arithmetic originates with "trade". And it is among the first dometicators
of animals.

This is contra Piaget and those who see the first counting as being by an
individual of grains of sand on a beach. That's a Robinsonade, a positivist
approach to the origin of counting.

Ask me a critical question this :>)