On 10/24/06, Doug Henwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The notion that the military is a hotbed of white supremacy
contradicts everything I've heard about the institution. I thought
they'd actually done a pretty good job of affirmative action, to the
point, as it's often said, that the military is the only institution
in U.S. society where white people are routinely bossed around by
black superiors. Sure there are a lot of bible-thumping fundies in
uniform, but they don't have to be racist by any means; we've got
plenty of devout black Americans too. And if anything, the
professional military is less bellicose than their civilian commanders.

the piece I read by Goff in Truthdig said that the armed forces were
_now_ recruiting white supremacists because they were scraping the
bottom of the barrel. I think others, such as Timothy McVeigh, became
crazy righties because they felt abandoned after the Gulf War.
--
Jim Devine / "We've never been stay the course" -- George W. Bush.