Marv wrote:

I think you meant to say the
"divorce from working class
practice" rather than the
book itself was "one of the
most sterile components of
Western Leftism".
:)

I meant to say that Western *Marxism* -- as is -- is one of the most
sterile components of Western *Leftism*.  In fact, there are
non-Marxist Western *Leftists* in the West who may have a bit more
grip on reality.  A few of those who have rushed to appropriate
trademarks and web domain names with the word Marx or Marxism
somewhere in the label seem to live in lalaland.

If anything, Anderson's essay
is even more pertinent now than
when it was published 30 years
ago.

I agree.  Having been a Western Marxist himself, Anderson knew what he
was talking about.  But his insights didn't result from mere
introspection.  The guy did conduct a thorough research of Marxist
thinkers in the West after the Russian revolution.

Personally, I tend to think that this divorce between Western Marxism
and Western working-class action -- prolonged as it's been -- is
temporary.  In the U.S. in particular, where the divorce has been
extreme, the greater intrusion of the "developing" world into this
society and vice versa (via trade, immigration, communication, etc.)
is creating conditions for a true multi-color and enlightened
working-class movement.

One of the most curious optical illusions that result from the
practical irrelevance of Western Marxism is that these Marxists don't
recognize how what they've anticipated for so long *is happening
already* right under their very noses.  It is perceptive leftists
tired of this "Marxism," with roots in real movements (anti-war,
anti-racism, radical feminism, etc.) -- e.g. Stan Goff, Bill Fletcher
-- who get it.  It is happening.  It is momentous.  And it has all the
limitations and potential of a newborn baby.  Meanwhile, Marxists will
sentence that it's not real because it is emerging through the
integument of the Democratic Party.

Julio