It will be interesting to see if Leahy actually does
anything. Rice also says she will have his case
reviewsed.

Cheers,Ken Hanly

Key Democrat wants U.S. to answer to Maher Arar
Updated Wed. Dec. 20 2006 8:01 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A powerful U.S. Democrat says Maher Arar has the right
to know why he is still on an American watch list and
barred from entering the United States.

Vermont Democrat Patrick Leahy, the incoming chair of
a Senate judiciary committee, told the Toronto Star
newspaper that he plans on summoning U.S. Attorney
General Alberto Gonzales before American legislators
to demand answers.

Canadian authorities have taken responsibility for
their part in Arar's 2002 rendition to Syria, Leahy
said, adding that it's now the Bush administration's
turn to redress the wrong.

"The Canadian government has now documented that the
wrong thing was done to the wrong man," Leahy told the
Star in an interview.

"It is time for the (Bush) administration to do what
it can to redress this wrong, instead of perpetuating
it."

Leahy said Gonzales should explain the entire U.S.
policy of rendition and he's sick of the lack of
answers shrouded in security concerns or promises to
get back to him.

U.S. Ambassador to Canada David Wilkins said last week
that Arar remained on an American "no-fly" list --
which prevents Arar from travelling in the United
States or even flying over U.S. airspace -- but
neither Wilkins nor the U.S. State Department would
outline the reasons for the ban.

Arar is entitled to know what allegations U.S.
authorities are making against him, Leahy said .

"It's not just this individual case," he said, "but
what does this say when someone's plane stops here,
they have citizenship on a neighbouring country and we
ship them back to Syria . . .

"You know they are going to be tortured . . . This is
beneath our country. And it does absolutely nothing to
make us more secure and it is a gross human rights
violation . . .

"One thing that can be done is our country should sit
down with yours and say: How did we all screw up
here?''

A public inquiry led by Justice Dennis O'Connor
cleared Arar's name in a report released this fall.

Arar's Toronto lawyer Lorne Waldman told the Star he
was "very encouraged" by Leahy's pledge.

"This moves the matter to the next level and we're
quite pleased with that," he said.

Arar, a Syrian-born Canadian engineer, was arrested by
U.S. officials while he was transiting through a New
York airport in 2002. Canadian police had provided
faulty information to them suggesting Arar had ties to
Al Qaeda. He was eventually deported to Syria, where
he was imprisoned and tortured.

Arar's name was cleared in the fall by a public
inquiry led by Justice O'Connor, who said it was
unlikely the U.S. relied on any other information but
that provided by Canada. Prime Minister Stephen Harper
has asked the U.S. government to apologize to Arar,
but settled on a promise they would collaborate more
fully on any future deportation cases.