A daring mid-morning attack on Informed Comment's "informed source".

<...>
Pullquote:
Al-Maliki is defending his hasty execution of Saddam, which one judge called illegal because 30 days were supposed to pass after the appeal ruling.

Forget about what the Iraqi judicial system thinks. They are NOT in charge. Further, the Iraqi government violated signed international treaties when they lynched Saddam Hussein.

Case in point:
“She (U.N. spokesperson Michele Montas) said that under international treaties that Iraq had signed, Hussein had the right to appeal to the appropriate authorities for consideration of commutation or pardon.” <http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=36064";>

Another treaty ignored...
MY! They ARE learning alot from  U.S. culture and history...

I also want to mention that the fellow professor Cole quotes in regard to Saddam's involvement with the U.S. State Department and the CIA is NOT convincing, except it DOES convince me that double-talk and disingenuity are a way of life in official American foreign policy discussion with the "common people".

The problem is... I'm not common, and I'm not buying into this semantic BS.

To wit: "There were penetrations of the Party, "but no liaison with it." http://www.juancole.com/2007/01/conflicting-accounts-of-cia-and-saddam.html

Professor Cole, I was an New York based antiwar activist in the 1960s, and I watched as the movement was 'penetrated' by the U.S. government. When the Chicago police killed Black Panther Fred Hampton in the middle of the night at his apartment in Chicago, they knew EXACTY where he was sleeping.

Penetration... a different definition perhaps, but quite relevant to the discussion.

They never ...'liasoned' with the BPP, yet they indirectly steered it, caused turmoil within it, and destroyed it.

The organization I was in (name on request)... Of ...20 core members, 25 percent turned out to be informers, feds, or police.

I could see it in some... others were much better at... "penetration".

Needless to say, these people...
(Google or NameBase George Demmerle, for a start)

...never liased(sic) with me or anyone else in the group..

My point Professor Cole:
Your friend is walking you into a semantic minefield.
Don't go there.

The CIA was intrinsically involved, and anyone who's ever dealt with the FBI, a major city's B.S.S or 'Red Squad', knows their role in an organization's structure, aims, and goals is tangential, as was your acquaintance's statement.

--30--

http://www.juancole.com/2007/01/al-maliki-hints-at-early-departure.html#comments

[Currently awaiting moderation, and one hit on my site from the Washington, DC area so far...]