Sorry, it took me a VERY long time to get back to this.

me:
The people nowadays who yell about fascism

On 1/3/07, Charles Brown  wrote:
Your claim that people are "yelling" it is telling. It is a subtle
misrepresentation of those using the term so as to characterize them as
"wild" , overly emotional, or that their thinking is distorted by their
emotion. I'm not "yelling" about fascism anymore than you are yelling about
any of the analysis you do.

(1) to me it feels like yelling, because it doesn't make any sense to
stress the "fascist" dimension. (BTW, to see a recent movie that
portrays fascism pretty well, see "Pan's Labyrinth.")

(2) at a demo I went to in 2006, some people were indeed "yelling"
about fascism.

me:
The authoritarianism we've seen in recent years -- especially right
after 911 -- was forcible only toward an unpopular minority and was
generally accepted by the majority in the US.

Charles:
There's plenty of evidence that the main repression of Nazism was of "unpopular" minorities. The vast majority
of the German population were not  subjected to the very worst repressions.  We don't even have to accuse the  "Good
Germans" of being inherent  "Nazis" to say that they were not nearly as badly repressed as the despised
minorities. In other words, we don't have to subscribe to a  "Goldenwhathisname" [Daniel Jonah Goldhagen] thesis
to see that the German majority was not very  repressed compared to the despised minorities.<

Of course, but the election that put Hitler into power didn't give him
even a majority. It was  Hindenberg who put him in power. His
authoritarian government was clearly a minority government (in
electoral terms). Further, his repression wasn't simply against
unpopular minorities (Jews, gypsies, gays, etc.) It was also against
significant political forces such as the social democrats, labor
unionists, and communists.  He also intensified and deepened the
repression of women. As he solidified power, of course, the population
of Germans -- atomized by Nazi repression -- slid toward supporting
him, mostly in terms of German nationalism. Even then, the Nazis had
to keep a lot of their worst actions secret.

On the other hand, a lot of (maybe most of) the support for Bushian
authoritarianism after 911 was spontaneous (though of course it was
based on generations of miseducation and propaganda). Bush exploited a
majoritarian wave after 911, while Hitler's rise to power was more
based on elite conniving. It's interesting how Bush has undermined the
majoritarian wave by exploiting it, so that more and more it opposes
him. On the other hand, Hitler used his power to make sure that no
majoritarian wave was needed.
--
Jim Devine / "Doubt is uncomfortable, but certainty is ridiculous." -- Voltaire.