Sandwichman wrote:
On 2/9/07, David B. Shemano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Feb 9, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Jim Devine wrote:
>>
>> > Mills was right, but it's still true that "money can't buy
happiness,"
>> > since money can't buy good social relationships (or mental health).

According to survey results, though, rich people are happier than poor
people. So if money "can't buy happiness" then the causation runs in
the other direction?
.
Well, they think they're happy..

[Which only goes to show that you may not have to be smart to be rich.]

Maybe affluence makes one delusional, and it's just mistaken for happiness.

Rich/happy... in relation to what?

Where's the median?

...and perhaps the rich are happy simply because what they desire to
accumulate with their lucre is purchasable, and that alone is
satisfaction enough.

..or perhaps Albert Einstein was more precise with the nomenclature:
"acquisitive success", which require overweaning goal-oreiented
obsession and compulsion, but not much else.

Leigh
"The crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism.
Our whole educational system suffers from this evil. An exaggerated
competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to
worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career." --
Albert Einstein.