On 2/9/07, David B. Shemano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Let's imagine a hypothetical 50 year old investment banker.  He owns a
mansion in Connecticut and Upper East Side apartment, has a beautiful second
wife, vacations at the finest resorts around the world.  He loves wine and
art, and has a magnificent collection of each which he truly
appreciates.  Having plenty of money, he decides to retire from investment
banking, spending his time managing his own money and serving on various
charitable boards.

My questions is how should a Marxist think of this individual
life?  Should we symphathize/feel sorry for him, because he thinks he is
happy but is really "self-estranged?"  Or should we point to his life and
happiness and say that once the revolution comes, everybody can live his
life, but capitalism is unjust in the meantime becase only the few lead that
life?  Or something else?

This scenario is premised on two filthy lies
1) Said investment banker "earned" his wealth in some reasonable definition
of the term "earned". IB is a zero-sum game, his wealth necessarily
impoverished someone else.
2) It is possible for everyone in the world to enjoy this lifestyle.
(leaving aside the question of whether everyone would want to). This is an
absurdity just like saying everyone can be king.

So should we sympathise or feel sorry for him? Why? I am sure his illusions
of well-deserved wealth (and his pretty second wife) are sufficient to keep
him warm at night. I'd save my sympathy for those unfortunates who need the
charities that our IB friend so generously supports.

-raghu.