IMHO, the difference that David misses is that between exchange-value
(and surplus-value) and use-value. Markets and capitalism serve the
lust for money revenues (exchange-value) and profits (surplus-value)
and not what's good for people (use-value). If you don't have the cash
up front, the system won't serve you, so you can starve. As Louis
suggests, state (non-market) intervention is the only way around this
barrier. As he also suggests, the powers that be resist such solutions
with bloody force.

On 3/29/07, Louis Proyect <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I would like to understand your point, but I am not getting it.  Why
>do you think Africa is different than all of the positive regions
>you mentioned?  At one point you are saying too little capitalism,
>and at the other point too much capitalism.
>
>David Shemano

Well, it is not just Africa. It is most of Latin America as well. And
most of Asia also. The overwhelming majority of the world is
underemployed. The fact that Goldman-Sachs has a billion dollar
computer system that can match investor to investment possibilities
is utterly irrelevant to somebody in the Congo. Or in Uganda. Or in
the Philippines. Or Pakistan. Or Indonesia. Etc., etc., etc. These
places are in a permanent slump and the only way that jobs can be
created is through state investments. But when the state takes that
responsibility, it becomes denounced as "radical" or "Communist" and
gets overthrown and the people get killed. 500,000 in Indonesia for
example. That is a big, big problem.

--
Jim Devine / "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own
way and let