http://www.ft.com/cms/s/77c47b12-eb63-11db-b290-000b5df10621,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F77c47b12-eb63-11db-b290-000b5df10621.html&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fhome%2Feurope%2F

The fiscal fallacy of decoupling from America
Published: April 15 2007 17:08 | Last updated: April 15 2007 17:08
If the US economy tanks, what will happen to the rest of us? Some investment
bankers have argued that this time we can easily decouple from the US. This
view is rooted in the assumption that the indefatigable Asian consumer and the
resilient European corporate sector have made us all less dependent.
I do not buy this argument because it does not quite square with what we know
about globalisation. The world has become more, not less integrated, in terms
of trade and financial linkages. The large world economies do not all have the
same growth rates, nor do they share the same business cycles. But surely we
are not fully decoupled. Some countries may be more shock-resistant than they
used to be, but in a globalised world shocks also spread more easily. The
answer depends on which of those two effects weighs more strongly. I suspect it
is the latter.