Shane Mage wrote:

mathematically "internal
relations" means that each of the variables making up "u(.)" is a
function of all the others

This isn't what's meant by "internal relations" in the sense I'm
using it (which is why I usually put it in quotes).  This sense makes
the identities of the related entities dependent on their relations.
When their relations change, so, to some degree, do their
identities.  This is relevant to any "logical reasoning which
proceeds by the use of the variable."  It's independent of whether a
mathematical relation between a set of "variables" is linear or non-
linear.

As Whitehead puts it in the passage to which I pointed:

"In logical reasoning, which proceeds by the use of the variable,
there are always two tacit presuppositions - one is that the definite
symbols of composition can retain the same meaning as the reasoning
elaborates novel compositions.  The other presupposition is that this
self-identity can be preserved when the variable is replaced by some
definite instance.  Complete self-identity can never be preserved in
any advance to novelty.  The only question is, as to whether the loss
is relevant to the purposes of the argument.  The baby in the cradle,
and the grown man in middle age, are in some senses identical and in
other senses diverse.  Is the train of argument in its conclusions
substantiated by the identity of vitiated by the diversity?"

He sometimes illustrates this with arithmetic:  one thing plus
another thing doesn't always make two things, e.g (one of his
examples) "a spark plus gunpowder."

Ted