On 4/30/07, Julio Huato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Julio writes: > Choice theory is not the only way one can learn about the
world.  But, again, *if you use choice theory*, you cannot (or should
not) appeal to preferences magically changing outside of the model
from selfish to altruistic.  That's an admission of failure.

there is an alternative to the assumption of given tastes and that of
changing tastes as a _deus ex machina_. Tastes could be made
endogenous in a systematic way, as I do in my paper on Hobbes, Locke,
& Rousseau (at http://myweb.lmu.edu/jdevine/hlr/HLR.pdf).

In more orthodox terms, in macro, expectations of the future play a
very similar role to that of tastes in micro. The big difference is
that expectations are not taken as exogenously given, but are instead
determined endogenously, reflecting historical and current data. (I'm
deliberately ignoring RatEx, which seems to be witchcraft.) The
dynamics of a society _might_ produce expectations that are
stabilizing. That is, if people expect that ripping off someone will
cause counterattacks, that might (under certain circumstances)
stabilize what looks like a disastrous prisoner's dilemma.

Preferences might follow a similar pattern of endogenous determination.

(I apologize to the Wiccan community for comparing them to RatEx.)

--
Jim Devine /  "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your
own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.