On 5/7/07, Doug Henwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
intangibles are only valuable insofar as they enable transactions,
especially at a higher price than the good or service would otherwise
command. What's the point of valuing a "brand" on the balance sheet
if it's not going to result in sales. Yeah, I'm a dupe and buy Crest
rather than Rite-Aid toothpaste, which is probably bad for my cash
flow and good for P&G's, but traditional accounting can fully capture
the value of that brand because millions of dupes like me loyally buy
Crest. Why should some chump buy bonds based on that intangible value
alone when you can buy P&G paper?

Exactly! Traditional accounting has no illusions about the
subjectivity of valuations it assigns. The way I look at it,
accounting is more about being consistent than correct. That of course
is simply not good enough for securitization.

Also the value of these brands is hardly transferable. What would I do
with some fractional claim to the Crest brand (which is all I'd be
left with if P&G went bankrupt)? The whole thing makes no sense at
all.
-raghu.