The Labor Party of Israel is just like the Democratic Party of the
USA, so Olmert survives, just like Bush. -- Yoshie

<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a_X2MVdZPBAI&refer=home>
Olmert Survives No-Confidence Votes on Failures in Lebanon War
By Jonathan Ferziger

May 7 (Bloomberg) -- Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert survived three
no-confidence motions brought by parliamentary opponents after a
government commission's report blaming Olmert for being unprepared for
last year's war in Lebanon.

The motions failed to dislodge Olmert, whose governing coalition
controls 78 of the 120 seats in the Knesset, the Israeli parliament.
Olmert's Kadima Party and its four allied parties easily defeated the
first bill 60 to 28 with nine abstentions and the other two by similar
margins.

<http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?c=JPArticle&cid=1178431591687&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull>
May. 7, 2007 19:25 | Updated May. 8, 2007 3:20
Gov't survives 3 no-confidence motions
By SHEERA CLAIRE FRENKEL

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hours before the no-confidence votes, the Labor faction decided by a
10-8 margin to allow its MKs to abstain.

The move was seen as an indication of Labor's hesitancy to support the
Olmert government.

"The faction looks bad, because we are saying that we are in the
government but we are acting like we are not," said Labor faction
chairman Yoram Marciano.

Marciano and all of the Labor ministers voted with the government,
while several MKs, including Michael Melchior, Orit Noked, Shelly
Yacimovich, Ami Ayalon, Avishay Braverman and Eitan Cabel abstained.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/07/world/middleeast/07cnd-mideast.html>
May 7, 2007
Olmert Survives Three No-Confidence Motions
By ISABEL KERSHNER

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Benjamin Netanyahu, who leads the rightist Likud bloc, called for new
elections and told the incumbent government, which has pledged to
implement the recommendations of the war report, "You are not the
solution, you are the problem."

The leader of the leftist Meretz party, Yossi Beilin, said that the
lack of confidence had penetrated the public, the parliament, and even
Mr. Olmert's own Kadima party. Mr. Beilin told the parliament that a
government minister from the Kadima party had told him that Mr.
Olmert, as prime minister, "poses a national danger to Israel."

Still, there is no consensus on who, or what, should come next. Mr.
Netanyahu is ranked as a favorite for the prime minister's job in
recent opinion polls. For that reason, Mr. Beilin has argued that new
elections are not necessary, and that the necessary change can come
about through parliamentary procedures instead. According to the
polls, at least two-thirds of the public would like to see Mr. Olmert
go.
--
Yoshie