This, the imposition of crops in terrain not exactly suitable, is
critical- and an index to the inadequacy, and dominance, of the world
markets regarding human needs.  Similar process goes on in Africa.

Even where the terrain, the climate,can support a particular crop or
crops, production has little to do with human needs,  the domestic
market, or more precisely, production only has tangential relationship
to human needs, use being subsumed and  overwhelmed by exchange.

In a very real sense, the problem is not  that modern, advanced
capitalism has imposed or maintained "underdevelopment" of the domestic
market, and the prospects for "national capitalism," but that the needs
of modern capitalism, of the world market, are in fact so physically and
socially unsuited for any type of development in so many areas of the
world.

It is this combination of "natural" and "social" inadequacy that is the
simultaneously the birthmark, the maturation, and the decay of world
market.

Capitalism in a nutshell, (and in the production of nuts).

If I remember correctly (no sure thing these days), wheat really doesn't
do well in the tropical and semi-tropical soil and climate of Venezuela-
corn does much better.