Ted,

I don't think I'm arguing against what Marx sees as the capability of
human  labor to appropriate, mediate the human interaction with nature,
but this "general description" of the function of labor does not give us
the specifics as to how that labor is organized, how the forms of
property are created, and destroyed.  No class of human beings conceives
of industrial capitalism in its head prior to the coming to being of the
social relation of production that defines modern capitalism.

And I don't think I'm arguing against the "idealism" of the potential
inherent in the emancipation of human social labor, but....

Marx accomplishes much more than just a "simple" corresponding
transliteration of Hegel-- tool for mind, instrument of labor for
cunning of reason. Marx finds in fact that the difference between human
weaving and spider weaving is that the former goes on under specific
historical circumstances, specific relations of property and labor.  The
latter does not.  There is no property in the world of spiders and bees,
there is no labor to alienate, to exchange, to circulate as a universal
form of value.

Doesn't Marx say (is it in the German Ideology?) something along the
lines that you can distinguish man from animal by belief in god, by any
number of things, but mankind distinguishes itself from animals when it
creates the means of its own subsistence?

The original question in the "Brenner debate" was, how was the
transition from feudalism to capitalism accomplished-- and that
transition was created by an economic necessity, a change in the
relation of the conditions of labor to the laborer.  I think that the
passions had impact on these transitions to the degree, and only to the
degree, that they were reflections  of, extensions to that change.