I don't subscribe to Carrol's theory.  Indeed, there is an activist
streak among the "professionals" of the peak oil advocates-- Campbell,
Deffeyes, Laherrere, etc.  Unfortunately it is a very conservative, even
regressive, but lucrative activism.

Hubbert himself had a bit of activism in his life-- testifying before
Congress, drumming the beat for the rule of the technocrat experts.

I think the problem comes in ascribing to "nature," conditions that are
so fundamentally economic, social, property based.

I also think it is a mistake to conflate the elite peak oil theorists
with global warming activists or fish stock analysts.  Even without
global warming, declining fish stocks can be directly traced to an
overaccumulation of assets in large fishing vessels, destructive "bottom
scrubbing" methods,  the deployment of truly gigantic nets (a practice
that is most accurately called extinction fishing), in the attempt to
circulate, realize, the initial capital outlays.  And this is combined
with impoverishment of localized, sustainable fishing communities
forcing more and more into more destructive fishing practices,
abandonment of  self-subsistence practices in favor of commercial
fishing.

Anyway,  I endorse  fish supporters, and not the peak oilers.