On 24 Jun, 2007, at 0:51 AM, Michael Perelman wrote:
Please do not respond like this, even if it is not an ad hominem.

May I say that the heap of abuse (of various forms) on the person is
indeed a part of the strategy to overcome the content of his
argument. As such it is ad hominem. Further, as most of us who have
to live with Americanised English have learnt, one has to deal with
the legitimisation of uses (and spelling!) of words and phrases that
stray significantly from the original. ;-)

As a leftist I am greatly cheered by the persistent voice of Leigh.
Anyone who can raise the hackles of the dominant crowd of old geezers
in a group (and question its authoritative view) is contributing
productively, roughly speaking; notwithstanding my enormous respect
for said geezers... and my own illiteracy on most matters!

(with apologies for prolonging this!)

       --ravi