Jim Devine wrote:

For the record, I did NOT reject
time-series analysis as "crude
empiricism." Instead, I wrote the
following: >>> isn't ARMA nothing
but crude empiricism, a "modern"
version of factor analysis? <<<

No.  For the record, you wrote:

"that's [time-series analysis is] a dynamic form of what's called
factor analysis. Nowadays, it's called time-series analysis, if I
recall correctly. Crude empiricism."

http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/pen-l/2007w28/msg00065.htm

And that is a categorical assertion.

what's the biz, then, about lumping
me with "you guys"? there are one
or two dingbats on pen-l that I do
not want to be associated with.

Again, you wrote this:

"that's a dynamic form of what's called factor analysis. Nowadays,
it's called time-series analysis, if I recall correctly. Crude
empiricism."

And, following that, Michael Perelman wrote:

"Before I face the firing squad, let me first agree with much of what
Jim Devine said."

That's why I wrote "you guys."  I wasn't attributing to you Michael's
ideas.  I was attributing to Michael agreement with *your* ideas.  If
anything, I should apologize to Michael -- since "agree with much"
doesn't mean "agree totally with."  (Sorry Michael.)

(Of course, to quote Marx, I don't
want to belong to any club that would
accept me as a member!)

Yes, Marx Twain.

huh? If I reject theory-
minimization, why is this
saying that "the amount of
theory is irrelevant"? or
that we should maximize it
instead? I agree with
neither of these.

If I should be considerate with the intent and context of your
statements, the same rule should apply in the other direction.  Please
about inference, econometrics, time-series analysis.  The starting
point is a set of empirical observations, data.

In drawing inferences, every extra postulate you impose on your data
is -- logically -- a restriction on the estimate.  Robustness means
that, for a given amount of information extracted from the data, the
theory (restrictions) imposed is (are) only the minimal necessary.
That is theory minimization.  It's equivalent to robustness.  In
inference, theory minimization makes sense and what you wrote doesn't.

Instead, the cost of using
theory should be balanced against
its benefits (and vice-versa).

Not "instead."  But after the clause, what you say sounds right to me.
The marginal cost and benefit of inference should be equalized.  That
means that, for a given amount of information extracted from the data,
you are minimizing your cost function (the amount of theory, the loss
of robustness).  Or that, for a given amount of theory (robustness),
you are maximizing your gain function (amount of information).