Doug posted this on LBO.  It was so delicious that I stole it for us.

Dufour, Jeff and Patrick Gavin. 2007. "Alan Greenspan's a Pessimist on
Economists."
Yeas & Nays (11 September).
http://www.examiner.com/blogs/Yeas_and_Nays/2007/9/11/Alan-Greenspans-a-pessimist-on-economists
When you gather together three Nobel prize winners, four former members of the
White
House's Council of Economic Advisers, a Congressional Budget Office head and a
former treasury secretary, you sure don't expect them to be told that, well,
their
life's work has all been for naught.  But, at a private dinner Friday held at
the
Washington Club to honor Brookings Institution economist George Perry and Yale's
Bill Brainard (both the retiring editors of the renowned Brookings Panel on
Economic
Activity), former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan told the audience that
economists don't really know anything.
"The one thing that struck me is that, despite the extraordinary sets of
articles,
insights and analysis by the people in this room and the other colleagues in
BPEA,
our ability to forecast the business cycle has not improved one iota," Greenspan
said.  "The best models don't work all that well."
Ouch.
But don't cry just yet, wonks: Greenspan was actually asked by BPEA to discuss
the
inherent difficulties in economic forecasts (economists are gluttons for
punishment,
don't you know) and Greenspan -- in the type of English only he can employ --
said
the uselessness of their jobs actually creates usefulness!
"It doesn't, however, induce us to then conclude that, if the model doesn't
forecast
-- which implies that it has not captured the appropriate structure -- we
nonetheless tend to use the structure of the model to do analysis and draw
significant conclusions about how the inner workings of relationships occur even
though the coefficients which we're employing clearly don't forecast anything
worthwhile."
Exactly.  What he said.
 --
Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA
95929

Tel. 530-898-5321
E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
michaelperelman.wordpress.com