When I was at the University of Washington in the mid-70's it was known as
Little Chicago, or Chicago Northwest. (To be fair, half the dept was that way,
fighting a war with the other half who didn't seem to notice they were losing.)

It was not however like capitalism. My Soviet econ prof described with Cold-War
disgust the exams at Moscow State University: the dept handed out twenty
questions in advance, and students would practice writing out stock answers
from Marx. I thought -- but dared not say -- that that sounded a lot like the
University of Washington econ dept. Only substitute Friedman and Becker for
Marx.

Under those conditions, the mathematical economics courses were a welcome
journey into relative sanity. Not enough for me, though. I finally bailed and
went to Colorado.