Les Schaffer wrote:

Jim Devine wrote:
 > there are large numbers of very small rocks flying around in space.
 Don't they explain the cratering on larger rocks pretty well?

and why  do we see crates in specific places at specific times. with
electrical discharges, what is the charging model that produce a
roundish crater *here* and not there at a particular time in the life of
a surface.

and then there is the impact regolith, the size distribution of
particles, and the shape of the crater, its cross-section. there are
experiments throwing projectiles at surfaces and looking at the size
distribution of small particles and powder created by the impacts, the
shape and morphology of the experimental crater. and some matches
between experiments and observed craters.

are there models for electrical discharge that reproduce the same
results? i am aware of detailed calculations of electrostatic charging
of powders on the lunar surface, and weak electrical discharges that
blow the powder around (maybe even give some of the powder escape
velocity), but nothing like discharges that would create them big
craters i see when i look up at the moon.
google: lunar regolith electric discharges

Les

To start with, I suggest starting with this:

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2007/arch07/070724lunarcraters.htm
and going on to other discussions under the heading "Craters" in the
TPOD archive.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not
consent to be called
Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos