Jim Devine wrote:

> in my never-ending battle against the use of clichés, I'm looking for
> a new synonym for "neoliberal" and "neoliberalism." I think
> "marketron" is a good replacement for "neoliberalism," but
> "marketronism" is too clumsy. Any ideas?
>
> in Solidarity with the Global War on Cliché,

I usually think of clichés as semi-dead metaphors, or at least phrases
(rather than single words) that if looked at 'feel' like a metaphor.
Neoliberalism was/is not a metaphor, and if it is objectionable I
suspect that the diagnosis is not that it's a cliche (any more than
water is a cliche for h20) but a misnomer to begin with, a misnomer,
however, grounded in the ambiguity of the stem term, "liberal."
"Liberal" has always been used in fairly contradictory senses, so
NEOliberal was bound to be vague.

I guess I'm suggesting that the problem is not the presence of a cliché
but the _absence_ of one, i.e., of a technical term (jargon) of
sufficient precision.

But isn't that the problem with _all_ the major terms of political,
social, or economic debate and/or analysis? We just have continually to
explain _some_ of our labels each time we write to a different audience
or to the same audience on a topic not recently introduced.

But if you still want a new term for neoliberalism I would suggest
imperialism. ;->