Michael Nuwer wrote:

As for cost/benefit analysis, interpersonal comparisons of utility are
not necessary if the analyst equates marginal benefits with marginal
costs, where benefits and costs are measured in terms of shadow prices.
Then they have determined how many, say, satellites to build, and they
can deduce with their theory that that quantity represents the best of
all possible worlds, without measuring the total utility.

I would also add that the assumptions which make this practice possible
are not very realistic. But again, I thought most people on this list
would already know this.

A demand curve shows how much of a commodity someone is willing to
consume at different prices. One way to constructed this curve is as a
locus of points derived from consumer equilibriums that correspond to
different prices. (This is done in all of the textbooks with
indifference curves deriving demand curves.) In this interpretation,
there is a demand curve and a marginal utility curve which are the same,
but they are not identical. That is, one curve lies exactly on top of
the other curve. Therefore, in the mainstream story, we can use any
information rung out of the demand curve (like market price) to infer
information about the marginal utility curve (like marginal value). But
this works only if the consumer is "rational," i.e., is a utility
maximizer. A negatively sloped demand curve can always be constructed
whenever there is a constraint separating what is possible from what is
not possible. So, the demand curve of non-rational consumers will slope
downward, but this curve can no longer be interpreted as a locus of
points representing consumer equilibriums. The demand curve is no longer
the same as the marginal value curve and thus the demand curve no longer
represents the consumer's willingness to pay for a commodity.