Greetings Economists,
On Nov 16, 2007, at 12:45 PM, raghu wrote:

Hey that's because you are from the "reality-based community." In
the action-based community you create your own reality.

Doyle,
The familiar echoes of long ago left arguments about idealism versus
practice.  Well the catastrophe that I learned was an echo of the WWI
that shaped the experience of millions in the trenches and especially
Russia.  I was born after WWII and no big catastrophe (world war or
depression) has occurred since.  That's the reality which negates my
sense (I do feel in my guts as a worker that things are unstable and I
am at the mercy of employers) of chaos on a mass scale that never
happens in my real life.  Like Charles, I interpreted events through a
lens of war that made sense to those generations who really
experienced them.  A catastrophe still happens to spots.  The spots
can be rather large like Argentina, Thailand.  The wars are pretty bad
too, but they happen elsewhere outside of my world.

Action then, making my own world, rests upon how to shape what is
happening in this bubble between catastrophes of the WWI sort.  I
can't argue with some young person living concurrent with that this
issue is life and death in the U.S. as if catastrophe is around the
corner  They don't live in Iraq.  The building and organizing I saw
during the sixties was made mainly by African Americans, in relation
to support from the left and progressives.  That was systemic in the
sense of racism is systemic, but not in the sense of global unity felt
by those who lived through WWI.

I think action now is created by community knowledge production.  War
is moving toward robots fighting robots, and robots destroying
communities to subdue rebellion.  The sort of war that WWI represents
of massed armies facing each other cannot happen, and the schooling of
mass knowledge that produces such experiences in the minds of millions
of soldiers is gone.  When I look at Marx discussing Hegel, and the
two sidedness of the economy, the surface and the processes below, I
see how Marx is trying to produce knowledge given his tools of
expression that are realistic.  But I don't especially feel
comfortable talking about the knowledge that arises from a partly
metaphysical description of knowledge production.  Is knowledge
visual?  Does making making a vast U.S. cultural industry shape how we
build community?  Then how do I use a movie to express the depths of
the processes in the way Marx meant?

What does knowledge production do to build organize and sustain
community?  Starting with current knowledge of the brain, the eyes
project image information back into the brain to patches of the
occipital lobe.  These patches connect to other patches.  These
'layers' of knowledge production areas in the brain are what we build
community from.  For example, it is thought now that seeing a face is
a different patch and stream from seeing apples and oranges.  The face
is about community, and oranges or objects unrelated to holding hands
with family is work processes like making cars.  For Marx, this
knowledge production might seem a far cry from idealist conceits.  We
do work to form community, and that work is of a specific type.  We
use language to connect.  We use faces to produce language.  And so on.

So to me community is properly - using an email distribution list to
create community, where properly means we can peacefully work together
to build knowledge that leads to action against capitalism.  Sharing
Marx's view that equality of society, a general class of workers means
equalizing all humans except to exclude those who do not act equally
with the value of work.  This work, or action, is knowledge production
of community.  And what does that mean, well?  It means a realistic
understanding of what knowledge is, how it is produced, and therefore
making realistic action clear and salient.
thanks,
Doyle Saylor