"As I understand it, the Ba'ath party became increasingly corrupt and
lost its roots among the people, so it became increasingly difficult
to maintain order and even a trace of legitimacy (except among the
most corrupt elements)"

That 'most corrupt element' was no doubt the 'middle class' of Iraqi
society, as extrapolated by the fact that the middle class as a social
unit in any society is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to cause any disruption of
'order'.