Interesting column in the FT by Martin Wolf about the bids to buy Northern
Rock. Wolf thinks the bank should be nationalized and the shareholders wiped
out for reasons of moral hazard and fairness. Of course many economists
vehemently deny the importance or even the existence of moral hazard. The
other extreme "no such thing as moral hazard" viewpoint is provided by Larry
Summers in another recent FT column:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5ffd2606-69e8-11dc-a571-0000779fd2ac.html

http://blogs.ft.com/wolfforum/2007/11/the-big-lessons.html#comments
---------------------------------snip
I have tried to do so, though I recognise that I have not (yet) reached
conclusions with which I am entirely satisfied. But I do know why this is
so. It is, I admit, partly emotional: I find it hard to accept that the
public sector should be forced to rescue the financial system from the
consequences of its own greed and stupidity, again and again. It is also
intellectual: defining the proper limits of such assistance is hard to do.
Reasonable people are bound to differ on what these limits should be.

The financial system makes much of its money out of financing investments in
risky assets with short-term borrowings that it promises to redeem at par.
Just putting this down should make any reasonable person shudder, since this
is obviously an accident waiting to happen. And it does, repeatedly. But it
is also a profitable accident waiting to happen, since the public sector is
willing to help the financial sector redeem its borrowings (through the
so-called "lender-of-last-resort" function) and, in extremis, to guarantee
the value of a large part of its outstanding loans (i.e. deposits).

Evidently, given its explicit and implicit guarantees to this rickety
structure, the public sector has to regulate the capital and risk-taking of
these institutions and, in the past at least, also the liquidity of the
assets it holds. The financial sector, in turn, tries to get round these
restrictions by placing some part of its business outside the regulatory
net. The more complex the institutions, the easier the latter becomes.

The reason I have spelled out these largely obvious points is that it only
then that one can understand how difficult the position in which the
authorities constantly find themselves turns out to be. They wish to prevent
crises now, without increasing the likelihood of crises in future. It is not
easy to make the judgements required to do this. But one point seems to me
clear: the absence of insolvencies does not prove that the authorities are
doing their job well. It could just as well prove the opposite. So the fact
that Northern Rock ended up in huge difficulties does not prove the
authorities got it wrong. It could just as well mean they got it exactly
right.