"If you're the CEO of a major company and you don't want the bad press
associated with being the foreclosure king, that might have an effect on
you," he said.

They saved the best for last...

If they didn't give a flying about cutting mortgages for $10,000
dollar a year waitresses why should anyone believe that they care
about their public image?

Unless their public image is more important than their fiduciary
duties, business law.

Writing mortgage loans to people who have no hope of paying them the
first time they go to doc-in-the-box is not only a breech of fiduciary
duties to the people THEY borrowed the money from, it must violate
dozens of state/federal lending laws.

Orange prison jumpsuits on your CEO&CFO are not good PR either, and
prison is where most of them belong... along with these guys:
http://leighm.net/wp/2007/10/14/bafraid_vid/