On Dec 5, 2007 9:49 AM, Jim Devine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It might be said (though some would quibble about definitions) that
the impact of the absence of unemployment in the old USSR could be
explained in terms of moral hazard.

The reason there was no unemployment was a moral hazard in itself.

Case in point, Czechoslovakian style:

I worked at a bakery which hired a 20 something Czech and he spent a
goodly portion of his time just standing there watching everyone else
work, occasionally checking something or other

When I asked him what was up with that he responded that in
Czechoslovakia, there were 3 or more people employed to do every
industrial job, and they just got used to picking up whatever didn't
get done by the other workers.

In the long run, this type of 'full employment' became financially untenable.

Leigh