The best treatment of the Santa Clara case that I've seen is Jeffrey
Kaplan's "The Birth of White Corporation," in Poverty & Race. the
newsletter of the Poverty & Race Research Action Council, vol 12, no.5,
September/October, 2003. I don't know whether PRRAC makes their
newsletters available on line, but it is well worth taking a look at it.

Joel Blau