CB quoted:
>>> National Debt Grows $1 Million a Minute
>>> By TOM RAUM, AP
>>>WASHINGTON (Dec. 3) - Like a ticking time bomb, the national debt
is an  explosion waiting to happen. It's expanding by about $1.4
billion a day -- or nearly $1 million a minute.<<<

me:
>> One problem we have on the left is that we like the idea of crisis
so  much that we sometimes fall under the influence on non-crises that
are  disguised as crises. This is one of them.<<

CB : > I see what you mean, but you aren't saying that AP (AOL
newsservice where this article came from) are left yet , are you ? The
 rev is really moving along if AOL is left.<

no, but you seemed to want us to get excited about the government debt
increase, for some reason. I assumed it was because you thought it was
some sort of crisis.

CB:
> This is not a left perspective, but a perspective about "the" economy
> that is being propagandized to the millions. Why does AOL corporation
> want people to feel that there is a national debt ? So that they will
> accept privatizing social security ?  Why is the monopoly media putting
> out this perspective that you say expertly is misleading ?   This money
> 75% of which is owed to the real "People" , why is it portrayed as a
> "crisis" , not on PEN-L, but in the major media. ?

when anyone posts a message to pen-l, they should make it clear why
they do so. I couldn't see these questions in your original posting.
BTW, most people seem to believe that the government debt is a bad
thing, even without encouragement from the oligopoly media. And like
most economists, most people don't know simple accounting, i.e., that
it should be called the "government's debt," not the "national debt."

Raum: >>> The national debt is $9.13 trillion, about $30,000 for every
person in the U.S. The total is worrisome because interest payments on
the debt strain government resources -- and things could get worse if
the economy slows down, as some economists predict.<<<

me:
>> It should NOT be called the "national" debt. It's the
_government's_  debt and about 75% of it is owed to people in the U.S.
So 75% percent  of it should be consider part of the nation's assets.
If you don't see  this, please e-mail me and I will give you my home
address -- so you  can mail me your government bonds. If they're such
a burden, I'll take  them off your hands.<<

CB: >  I wish I owned some. The US government is the soundest
investment there is no ?  We can't imagine Uncle Sam in financial
trouble.  That's  one recession that even left economists predict
won't come anytime  soon.<

yeah, the risk involved in T-bills is nil.

me:
>> The interest payments on the _government's_ debt do represent a
problem in the government's budget. (But remember than about 75% are
paid to people inside the U.S.!) The problem of interest payments is
not a problem in the short run, even if a recession hits, because the
Federal government can and does run deficits -- it does not have to
balance its budget. Smart economists and politicians don't force a
budget balance in a recession, since they know it makes matters worse.
<<

CB: > Plus Keynesianism counsels deficit spending so as to pump money
into the economy through government spending even if it is borrowed
money spent.   Of course, the rightwing took over Keynesianism and
deficit spends on war.<

it took over Keynesianism in 1942 or so. Practical Keynesian fiscal
policy in the US has mostly involved war spending and tax cuts for the
rich or their corporations. The anemic welfare state in the US did
imply some automatic stabilization, though.

me:
> Over the long haul, the economy grows, generating more & more tax  revenues
> for the government. These (along with tax hikes or spending  cuts) allow the
> government to pay interest. The problem occurs only if  the government debt
> grows _faster_ than the economy for several years,  so that the government
> debt to GDP ratio rises. But last time I  looked, the government debt was not
> at its previous peak (67% of GDP  in 1996, for gross debt). It was far below
> its previous peak (122% of  GDP) at the end of WW2. It's like 66% now. Note
> that the US economy  did very well during the 1950s, despite the debts left
> over from WW2.<

CB:>  Remember how the rightwing of the Goldwater era used to make
such a  big deal about liberal deficit spending ? Then Reagan came
along and  doubled the national debt, added as much to the national
debt as all the  previous presidents back to Washington combined. This
was military  industrial complex deficit spending, Keynesianism if I'm
not mistaken,<

also, tax cuts for the rich were involved. Gross government debt more
than doubled from 1981 to 1989 (from $995 billion in 1981 to $2,868
billion in 1989). But the debt/GDP ratio only rose from 32.6% to 53.1%
between those years.

This encouraged the Great Role Reversal, in which many or most Dems
became fiscal conservatives and GOPsters became
borrow-and-spendthrifts.
--
Jim Devine / "The only difference between the Democrats and the
Republicans is that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too."