Charles Brown wrote:

> >From Truthout: http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/120707G.shtml
>
> "Capitalism Cannot Satisfy Us"
>     Daniel Fortin and Mathieu Magnaudeix interview Pascal Lamy
>     Challenges
>
>     But what good does it do to criticize capitalism? Isn't it
> accepted by everyone?

I would answer that, for Marxists, it does  no good whatever to
criticize capitalism -- in fact, it is a serious distraction from the
_political_ analysis of the present that is key. Of course capitalism is
bad. Who cares. No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets or how much
time Marxists (revolutionaries) waste "criticizing" it, capitalism will
remain as strong as ever (or stronger) as it gets worse. The worse it
gets, the stronger becomes the ideology of TINA, the more despairing and
unwilling/unable to struggle that its potential gravediggers become.

On an empirical basis (that is, simply generalizing from the past), weak
points of capitalism occur during its periods of _rising_ strength (as
in the later 1930s as opposed to the early 1930s). The questions
Marxists should be concerned with at the present time (whether a
recession is coming or not) is what are the best forms of current
political practice that will _prepare_ active resistance forces for
responding to the next period of capitalist weakness*, whenever that
comes. [*REPEAT: By weakness I don't mean recessions, depressions, etc.
but periods of rebound when the rebound creates hope and begins to
undercut the ideology of TINA.)

Carrol